Need Help Identifying And Dealing With A Sick Peacock Cichlid

Izax

Reaction score
Experience
5 years

Please help, I have no idea whats going on with my Peacock Cichlids. Whatever the sickness is Its taken two of them already with a third still being sick. The first two happened simultaneously and I thought the third didn't have it. I treated the tank with a fin and body cure pack from API and that didnt help, I also did a 50% water change. I keep the tank at 81-82 degrees, and its a 55 gallon. I reckon the fish only has a day or two left before it is overcome and dies like the other two had. Please help.

(4-27-18)

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hubby says looks like ich too. Can you get ichX if what you’re using doesn’t treat ich? Need more eyes. @Thunder_o_b is this ich?

Izax

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I dont use any CO2 so no changes there, and I'm not sure if it does treat for ich but ill definitely head out today to get something that treats ich.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This is a Red Jacob Cichlid (Also called an African Butterfly Peacock). This is definitely not Ich, this is fungus. Ich will look like your fish has been covered in salt. I'd do a big water change and dose Fungus Cure immediately. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but your water looks pretty dirty in the pictures, and that isn't helping the fishes immune system. (could just be the picture)

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AquaticJ said:
This is a Red Jacob Cichlid (Also called an African Butterfly Peacock). This is definitely not Ich, this is fungus. Ich will look like your fish has been covered in salt. I'd do a big water change and dose Fungus Cure immediately. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but your water looks pretty dirty in the pictures, and that isn't helping the fishes immune system. (could just be the picture)
Are we sure? Hubby seems to think it does look like salt sprinkled on the fish. He’s only seen ich once though. A tattoo parlor lost all of their Cichlids to ich. Just want to make sure OP is treating for the right thing. Thank you for your help

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Positive. Ich spots are not large and cotton-like as these are, and do not protrude from the fish that much. Here’s a good example of Ich. Ick photo

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AquaticJ said:
Positive. Ich spots are not large and cotton-like as these are, and do not protrude from the fish that much. Here’s a good example of Ich. Ick photo
Thanks. I think I saved the photo to show hubby. He goes to bed at a reasonable time.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom