Need help identifying a fish

1. Mags Initiate Member

I found this site to be very helpful before going out and getting fish for a new tank. I also "adopted" fish from a co-worker who could no longer care for them. They are freshwater tropical. They are grayish in color... with a black fin on top....almost 2 inches long....and their most stand out feature is a red dot on either side of their face. I cannot find this fish anywhere on the internet and I would really like to know what they are. can anyone help???

2. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Hi mags - is a neon tetra size? It could be a white mountan minnow of some sort...

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Pictures? ;D
    Carol

4. Mags Initiate Member

Hi....no its about the size of a Platy (if they only come in the size I have : )....

I have a picture....I will try to attach it for you to see. I hope that will help.

Picture to follow soon.

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks! We love pictures ;)
    Carol

6. Mags Initiate Member

Here it is

Attached Files:

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I believe those are bleeding heart tetras (Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma). Lovely little fish.
    Carol

8. Mags Initiate Member

Thank you, thank you , thank you!!!! Great site. VERY helpful. I have another fish that I adopted. I am going to take a picture of him tonight and see if you can name that one as well.

9. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

10. Mags Initiate Member

I hope this picture comes through okay. This is the other type of fish that I am unable to identify. Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

11. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

12. joe Member Member

13. Mags Initiate Member

Thank you again....you guys are good : ) I feel terrible....this Red Eyed Tetra has been living on his own for a lot of years. I want to get more of his type so he can have his schooling buddies. The same goes for the Bleeding Heart Tetras but at least there are two of them. Thank you for all your help. I am sure I will return with some more questions.