NEED HELP: I need to move from 26 to 40 gallons

jaysix79

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I need some tips and advice on how to move my salt water tank from 26 gallon to 40 gallons... i have an idea i listed below but is there a faster, easy and safe way to do it?

current set us is
  • 25 gallons tank
  • 3 blue and yellow tail damsel
  • few corals i don't know their name
  • no clean up crew
  • MH lamp
  • been running for move six months with no problem

New set up
  • 40 gallon tank
  • 50-60 lbs of sand (probably not live anymore its in the bucket right now)

my first idea...
  • run the 40 gallon tank with salt water and 50-60 gallon sand (probably not live) for a week and a pump to circulate my water. (no filter of some kind)
  • add half of my live rock from my running tank after a week.. and let it run for 2 to 3 weeks...
  • move the damsel and observe if they are okay with the new environment
  • if the damsel are okay for two weeks... then move my corals and the rest of the live rock and the sump

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would completel set up the 40 and run it with the sand and atleast some more Live Rock either from another one's tank so its fresh or from your tank to speed up the cycle. Slowly tranfer some of your rocks as the cycle progresses. (there shoud still be some live rock in your running tank when the cycle completes. One's cycle is complete, transfer your remaingin livestock in. By that time, there should only be some rock, corals, and your fish.

It's unncesary to test the damsel IMO. If the water parameters are fine and the cycle is complete, why waste two weeks of your time.

jaysix79

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks ATP i just thought of that to be in the safe side.. but a faster way and safe way would be the best choice thanks again

jaysix79

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
another question would be since i don't have double of each equipment.. can i cycle my 40 gallon tank with just a sand and some live rock and power head?.... i don't have any extra light and protein skimmer

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jaysix79 said:
another question would be since i don't have double of each equipment.. can i cycle my 40 gallon tank with just a sand and some live rock and power head?.... i don't have any extra light and protein skimmer
no prob. glad to help

As for the cycle, it would be fine when ammonia and nitrite spike goes down because the bacteria should handle that part, but you're going to have to do quite a few waterchanges to lower the nitrates. Bacteria do lower it a bit, but most of them is up to you. Shouldn't have to bad of a problem with algae since you won't have lights over it until the move.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good luck with your upgrade JaySix! I hope you share some photos once you're all done and everyone is settled in.

Ken

jaysix79

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks again.. ill share some photo once i start cycling........ i should start in a week or two

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads