Need Help Growing Algae How Do I

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Manytanks, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Manytanks

Manytanks Valued Member Member

Hey all I need some help growing algae in my 4ft tank. It has 2 flying foxes, a large bristlenose and a mystery snail eating the algae and it just can't keep up. I've tried leaving the lights on longer and overfeeding but is there any other ways to get the algae to grow. I've been trying to feed them algae wafers but they're not interested in them. Can't really skip water changes as the tanks currently overstocked (temporarily)

2. 8

83jase Valued Member Member

Sealed glass jars in the sun algae will grow rapidly in and Harvest your own might have to turn filtration off for 15mins so it can sink to bottom as its really small the algae don't use the algae water run it into a fine net

3. OP
    OP
    Manytanks

Sorry forgot to mention that I'm using this method to grow algae on stones to put in the tank also but I didn't think of straining the water to get more out of it.
    Thanks I'll try that in the morning

4. Raizinhell

Raizinhell Valued Member Member

Lmao! You probably have weak lights. If I left my lights for 24 hrours, my tank would become an algae farm

5. 8

Oh OK well that makes picture bit clearer thought you where after a little extra supplement. As op said that come back to the lighting your using which is?

6. OP
    OP
    Manytanks

The light is an ebay special $60 "full spectrum" led.

7. 8

Theres ya problem lighting wouldn't be strong enough to penetrate deep enough try aquazonic I use and have to limit timing otherwise I'd have a full blown algae farm as op even better the fluval 3.0 plenty other lights out there and each to there own what ive used tried and tested those cheap lights ain't worth crap as you've found out

one thing ive learnt don't cheap out on lighting or filtration.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice