Need help getting rid of floating debris in the aquarium

plakadista

HI guys!

I'm really bothered about the floating debris in my fish tank. it just won't settle down and it is making the tank look dirty when you look at it at a very close distance. at first I thought there was a problem with the filter, but I doubt it. I replaced all the filter pads in my filter and I know it is working fine. I have the eheim classic 350 filter btw if you want to know..

What I have:

- 46 gallon bow front tank
- lots of plants and some driftwood
- 8 rummy nose tetras
- 8 tiger barbs
- 3 rainbow fish
- 8 chrry barbs
- 6 corydoras
- 3 golden algae eaters.

I know its too much fish but the're doing just fine! very active and no signs of stress! just very bothered about the debris in the tank that won't settle down. Please help

Thanks alot

Plakadista

MD Angels

What kind of debris? Poop? Food? Is it possible that you are over feeding? Have you done a water change recently?

I would do a water change, vaccume the gravel, and then use a net after when you put water in to catch as much debris as possible. How are the water parameters?

plakadista

It kinda looks like dust..lol mixed with leaves.. I did change the water 3 times for the last 3 weeks..and I just changed it again today during day... and ive vacuum the gravel but I don't push it all the way down to the gravel cuz I don't wanna disturb the substrate..

as for the water paremeters, I haven't really checked since 2 months or so.. but the fish are great and eating right and very active. as for overfeeding, ill admit that I do it sometimes but rarely..only when I'm lazy..hahaha

jillofalltrades37

Welcome to Fishlore! Did you just rinse your filters off in drained tank water? or did you replace them with new ones? I hope you just rinsed them because they hold the good bacteria. They say not to replace your filters unless they are falling apart. I would check your water parameters. Hope your tank clears up. can you take a picture of your tank?

plakadista

Welcome to Fishlore! Did you just rinse your filters off in drained tank water? or did you replace them with new ones? I hope you just rinsed them because they hold the good bacteria. They say not to replace your filters unless they are falling apart. I would check your water parameters. Hope your tank clears up. can you take a picture of your tank?

Thanks! I just replaced the fine filter pad and not those bio balls and ceramic rings. I didnt change the blue filter pads that catches most of the debris either.. what I think is wrong is that the filter pads was not probably placed properly that's why it looked like the filter was blowing dirt..haha and yes ill check or parameters as soon as I get another test kit..hahaha Thanks

and the picture looks like its clear cuz you won't see the debris floating..but when I get close and look at it, that's when I see it..haha

Attachments

• IMG_3373.jpg
    IMG_3373.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 6,708

jillofalltrades37

First off Beautiful tank, love all the plants. Is that a real piece of driftwood? has it been in the tank for awhile? I learned something too. I did not know it was a canister filter, I don't have any of them. Hope you found the problem, Is this your only tank? If you have some free time, fill out your aquarium info on your profile, that way if you have any other questions you will not have to repeat yourself. Hope it clears up. good luck.

plakadista

First off Beautiful tank, love all the plants. Is that a real piece of driftwood? has it been in the tank for awhile? I learned something too. I did not know it was a canister filter, I don't have any of them. Hope you found the problem, Is this your only tank? If you have some free time, fill out your aquarium info on your profile, that way if you have any other questions you will not have to repeat yourself. Hope it clears up. good luck.

Thank you! yes it is a real piece of driftwood and its been there for about 2 months now. I have discovered the problem! it was just in my filter, the filter pads wasn't properly placed..now ive fixed it and it is clearing up little by little. This is my only tank right now although ive had a 29 gallon before that lasted about a year and then got my 46 gallon and transfered my favourite fish in there and gave the other ones to my cousin. haha I will place my tank info as soon as I wake up tomorrow cuz I am Tired! haha Thanks a lot!

mosaicguppy

how much stuff did you vaccumm out? there might be stuff at the bottom where you haven't reached yet. I would do a nice gravel vac just in case.

Aquarist

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore.

Increasing the surface water movement will help to keep the debris from floating around the top. You can add an air stone and or make sure the outflow tube is angled toward the surface. (not so much that water is shooting out of the tank! )

Ken

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Pachonfx
Replies
Views
JoeNate
Replies
Views
EdieBadedie
Replies