Need Help Getting Multis To Eat.

1. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Got my multis on Sunday, Fed regular tropical flakes on Monday.They seemed to eat some. There was a lot of spitting out. I figured they didn't like that color. My cichlid flakes came in Tuesday, so I tried to feed them Wednesday. I was able to sit and watch. More spitting out. You could tell from the bottom of my tank that they did not eat any of them. This morning I fed frozen brine shrimp. They raced tword it like they were starving but again, the spitting out. If one floats by, they will try it again before spitting it out.
    I've got to get these fish to eat. I sent a text to the breeder who responded very quickly to all my texts before I got the fish. Still no reply.
    He said something strange when I picked up the fish which got me thinking...He was keeping feeder guppies in with these guys. He was a nice young man and he was foreign so I just thought it was something strange that was done over there.
    Now I am thinking that the guppies provided the multis food source.
    There is no way I am feeding fry to these guys. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these fish to eat? (Normal food that is.) What are you feeding your shell dwellers?

2. Lchi87

Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

It took awhile for my similis to really eat consistently. They are on NLS Grow .5mm sinking pellets and various other small pellet formulas that I can't remember at the moment. I'll snap a photo of their food for you when I get home. They'll also accept spirulina enhanced frozen brine shrimp.

If they're spitting them out, the pieces of food might be too large.

What's your pH at currently? My guys ate much better once I brought their pH up.

3. OP
    OP
    KimberlyG

My pH is 8.0. Took me over 7 1/2 hours to acclimate them from the breeders 6.0.
    Do you think they need higher? I really don't like to mess with buffers. I'm afraid of the swings.
    I would appreciate those pictures. Meanwhile, I'll go get the brine shrimp you recommended. I'll try about anything other than fry.
    Thank you.
    Edit: pH 8.2 (Going to have to keep an eye on that. it's always been a steady 8.0)

4. Lchi87

I'm actually floored at how low the breeder had them at....considering these guys come from very hard alkaline water. I don't like to mess with buffers either but I'm having to learn how to use them since my water's ph is a little low. Its not so bad, you just can't do massive water changes; 10-15% weekly, tops. My breeder keeps his shellies at 8.2 but also mentioned to me if they're not eating enthusiastically and seem sluggish, bumping up the pH might help. I'm currently verrrrryy slowly raising mine to encourage breeding behavior.

What temperature is the tank at?
    Do you know if they are wild caught or tank bred and what generation they are? ( F1, F2 etc)
    Mine are F1, meaning they are the spawn of wild caught individuals so I think the further down the line they are, the more adaptable they get in terms of parameters.

5. OP
    OP
    KimberlyG

I'm sure they are not F1. lol
    My intent was not to breed really, but of course that is fascinating to watch in this case. Two of the family owned fish stores I have dealt with for about 25 years were all over me about buying juveniles when they found out I had gotten Multis. Not sure I am comfortable with that unless I can bring in new blood.
    About the pH...I swear these fish are driving me crazy, I forgot that adding that may shells would raise the pH. I'll keep an eye on that. Temperature is about 79*f. All the parameters are about where I wanted them. The seeded media caught up very quickly. Days 2 and 3 I was showing ammonia. It wasn't 0.25ppm but it certainly wasn't the 0 yellow I am used to. Today both ammonia and nitrite are down to 0. Not really seeing any nitrates yet. Of course they're not eating so they're not pooping and I have to vacuum uneaten food every afternoon. Anyway, several of the males went foraging a while ago and most of the brine shrimp seems to have disappeared. I'm still going to get the fortified shrimp you were talking about but they need a diet more varied than that.

6. Lchi87

Lol yes shells will raise the pH but very gradually.

I'd say give them a few more days especially once you're able to get them different food. Mine have been with me a little over two weeks and they just started eating properly at the 2 week mark.

7. OP
    OP
    KimberlyG

Patience is a virtue that was not bestowed on me.

8. Lchi87

Don't worry, the multis will teach you :D

9. Deaddawg

Deaddawg Member Member

I have seen my multis spit too, try making the flakes smaller by grinding it with your fingers.

10. OP
    OP
    KimberlyG

Oh it's ground. Do that all the time. There is no way that is too big. The brine shrimp maybe.

11. Lchi87

As promised:
    46ea6f56fd81334f81f31d946405b387.jpg
    c704302555b8de0a1b7a898cd38f896d.jpg
    757ae32ee5365e9eab34ca7d6eca9b4d.jpg
    The last one is a saltwater formula but the freshwater one is exactly the same.

12. OP
    OP
    KimberlyG

The first one I know I can get on Fosters and Smith. Those pellets look huge. They can eat those? (Doesn't matter, I have a mortar and pestal to grind flakes, I can lightly crush them in halves or fourths.
    I'll look for Sustainable Aquatics. Thank you again!

13. Lchi87

They can totally eat .5mm pellets. My smallest female took down two in one gulp just now. Good luck!!

14. OP
    OP
    KimberlyG

Still no response from the breeder. If I sold fish to anyone, I would answer any question they had and do anything in my power to help them succeed in taking care of my babies! Pretty sure now that they were used to eating guppy fry. Hopefully going to break that habit soon with Lchi's help.

15. Deaddawg

Deaddawg Member Member

Im playing the waiting game. Waiting on this one so I can take the shell. I recently set them up in a 100 gallon and i am seperating them from there shells so they can get to know each other without territories. So far so good, no bullying. 2nd pic is the food they sold me and they love it. 03797d5b4ca9f4a33460786d8c7e1368.jpg 5a469b5d5a5fcdce349906d5d128930a.jpg

16. Deaddawg

Deaddawg Member Member

Im playing the waiting game. Waiting on this one so I can take the shell. I recently set them up in a 100 gallon and i am seperating them from there shells so they can get to know each other without territories. So far so good, no bullying. 2nd pic is the food they sold me and they love it. 03797d5b4ca9f4a33460786d8c7e1368.jpg 5a469b5d5a5fcdce349906d5d128930a.jpg

17. Deaddawg

Deaddawg Member Member

18. OP
    OP
    KimberlyG

Oooh...It's a flake...I like. If I could get them to eat flake, the pellets and fortified brine shrimp that Lchi recommended, I would be one happy camper. I had planned on my cichlid flake, brine shrimp and blood worms but things are quickly changing.

19. Lchi87

Don't give up on the flake just yet! Once I got mine eating, they learned to accept ground flake also, just not with the enthusiasm I see with the NLS or SA pellets.

20. OP
    OP
    KimberlyG

Keeping the ground flake handy in case they live and there are babies.
    Seriously though. I just want them to live. At least two of the females are eggy. I hope they can absorb them and don't become egg bound. I'm so angry at this young man right now. He is setting a lot of people up for failure and they do not have the resources I have to try and help the fish. I'm going to try to talk to the club tomorrow and see if they will take his ad down. I can only imagine the fish that died from osmotic shock because someone did not test the water they came in. Over 2 ppm pH is a lot to overcome. The people who do a 30 minute acclimation are not going to get close. The gill flukes they came with are nothing compared to the unwillingness to eat. I'm just going to take a deep breath and see if they will eat brine shrimp tomorrow. :(