Need Help! Getting A Used Tank For Fish, Aquarium Or Terrarium?

Travis Bradbury

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I seen a post for a 20G Aquarium/Terrarium + a stand for $20.. In the ad he said he was not sure if it was a aquarium or terrarium.. and that its been sitting for awhile.

He said it was always used for a reptile, and not sure if it can hold water.
What do you think? Heres afew pictures.
tank.JPG
tank2.JPG
tank 3.JPG
tank 4.JPG

The top right and left corners have a sort of an L shape(not completely lined up).. is that normal?

What do you guys recommend me do?

I know that its dirty.. that's not an issue(I think).. I can just clean it right up.. lots of vinegar, hot water

I've read checking the glass thickness you can tell if its meant to hold water.. How thick of a glass does a basic(looks like a basic 20 gallon) 20 gallon need to be?

Ill also be re-sealing because look at that silicone seal.. DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY.

It does seem like an aquarium because of the canopy.. I know you can just slap the canopy on either or, but most reptiles need a specific lighting irrc(for heat) which is why you usually see a mesh + 2 heat lamp combo.

What do you guys think? Should I go for this deal?

Derek S

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you know what brand it is? If it's sold as a "terrarium" or "reptile cage", then it probably wasn't built to hold water. I don't know if glass thickness is a good indicator. Manufacturers for small tanks are using 1/8" which is what terrariums are made of as well. The difference is in how well the joints are sealed and if the plastic **** is designed to hold a load. The bottom pane for aquariums are USUALLY tempered as well. Rimless tanks use much thicker glass so they can get away from using a frame. Just me, I wouldn't chance 20 gallons and fish all over my floor.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would say yeah go for it! I get all my tanks second hand because I am a student and I can tell you I have had nothing but success from these sorts of aquariums!!!

First I usually give the aquarium a good scrub with a wet mildly abrasive sponge (inside and outside) to get rid of any sand, marks and other nasty lumps.

Then fill it with water and let it sit somewhere for 24 hours to check for leaks! If any water does start to seep out then re-sell it.

Provided all has gone well so far, you can then bleach the tank! I find bleach to be very safe and effective at ensuring the tank is clean enough for fish. Just rub it into any parts of the tank that water might touch (basically the inside of the tank and the inside of the lid)

After letting the bleach sit for at least half an hour, you can rinse it off! This is the most important part; you must rinse it of a tonne of times (at least 5 times usually, but until you can lo longer smell bleach + 2 more times is usually good enough)

Once you are certain the tank is clean, let it dry and put in desired location before setting it up as you would a brand new tank

Good luck!

OP
Travis Bradbury

Travis Bradbury

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Derek S said:
Do you know what brand it is? If it's sold as a "terrarium" or "reptile cage", then it probably wasn't built to hold water. I don't know if glass thickness is a good indicator. Manufacturers for small tanks are using 1/8" which is what terrariums are made of as well. The difference is in how well the joints are sealed and if the plastic **** is designed to hold a load. The bottom pane for aquariums are USUALLY tempered as well. Rimless tanks use much thicker glass so they can get away from using a frame. Just me, I wouldn't chance 20 gallons and fish all over my floor.
Does not say what brand..

Mary765 said:
I would say yeah go for it! I get all my tanks second hand because I am a student and I can tell you I have had nothing but success from these sorts of aquariums!!!

First I usually give the aquarium a good scrub with a wet mildly abrasive sponge (inside and outside) to get rid of any sand, marks and other nasty lumps.

Then fill it with water and let it sit somewhere for 24 hours to check for leaks! If any water does start to seep out then re-sell it.

Provided all has gone well so far, you can then bleach the tank! I find bleach to be very safe and effective at ensuring the tank is clean enough for fish. Just rub it into any parts of the tank that water might touch (basically the inside of the tank and the inside of the lid)

After letting the bleach sit for at least half an hour, you can rinse it off! This is the most important part; you must rinse it of a tonne of times (at least 5 times usually, but until you can lo longer smell bleach + 2 more times is usually good enough)

Once you are certain the tank is clean, let it dry and put in desired location before setting it up as you would a brand new tank

Good luck!
Problem is, he says he does not know if its a Aquarium or terrarium.. If its a terrarium I risk pouring 20 gallons on my tank form the glass not being able to hold the pressure.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Travis Bradbury said:
Does not say what brand..

Problem is, he says he does not know if its a Aquarium or terrarium.. If its a terrarium I risk pouring 20 gallons on my tank form the glass not being able to hold the pressure.
That's what the leak testing is for! Leak test in your bath if you have one, or outside on some newspaper if you can, anywhere really

OP
Travis Bradbury

Travis Bradbury

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not worried of a leak, I'm worried about the glass just breaking because its too thin, or 2 glass panes coming apart.. I guess I can test it in my bathtub! I just hope it doesn't break and I create a mess.

I am going to reseal it 100%, its the glass itsself I'm worried about.

ClownFizz

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That brown seal around the tank doesn't look like a normal fish tank... id say give it a pass.... save yourself the hassles.

OP
Travis Bradbury

Travis Bradbury

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes.. I thought the same..

I found a newer 20G+stand combo with everything included for $50.. going with that.

OP
Travis Bradbury

Travis Bradbury

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea same.. for an extra $30 I don't have to worry as much, and less of a hassle trying to fix things.

I was looking for a 20 long with everything included, but no luck sadly.

But ohwell.. Going to start breeding CRS in this normal 20 gallon

Ed1957

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Have you looked on craigslist. I don't know about Canada but in the US you can get great deals. It is funny that most of the large tanks are so much cheaper than the 20 gallons. Probably because it's hard to store. 75 gallon full setups for around 150 or so and 20's full setup for 100. Full setup with substrate decorations substrate filters heaters stand. You have to look and be patient. The best deals are when they are moving. But it's a pain getting a tank with fish.

New Threads