need help for friend Important

1. momiji345 Member Member

Hi
    My friend is getting a new aquarium.What type of fish and plants should he get.He is getting 20 gallon tank . He did some research about the water cycle and he took books out from the Library about aquariums...Still he cant pick what type of fish and plants he wants..I told him neon tetra or Platy is a good fish for beginner.

2. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi momiji,

He could start with tetras or some Platies like you said would be could. I'd probably divide the tank into sections and have a few bettas ;D Depending on the fish, you could get any kind of plants. Try to get him to start with plastic or silks ones first before trying planted. Hope my info helps.

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Momo. Glad to see you're trying to help your friend. I assume you told him all about the Nitrogen Cycle? :)
    The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Personally I would avoid Neon Tetras as a beginner fish and only add them to a well established tank. Even then make sure they are acclimated properly. They can be very sensitive to water conditions.
    Acclimating Tropical Fish to Your Fish Tank

I'll let others make suggestions on what to stock. :animal0068:I'm moving your thread to Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum. It may help you to get more responses.
    Best of luck to your friend!
    Ken

4. momiji345 Member Member

hi
    The tank is doing well.He has fake plant's and fish.He has a 8 neon tetra.We may add more fish next week..No problems yet in the tank.

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

He's doing a cycle with the neons, or did he do an "instant" cycle by adding media from your filter into his?

6. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Shawnie aobut neons. They don't do real well in a new tank. Usually they will survive a week or two & then one by one die. No matter how many water changes you do. They really should be placed into a well established tank & be acclimated slowly.
    I'd be trying to return the neons & get some tougher fish like zebra danios or the platies. Truthfully I would actually be dropping a dead shrimp or two in there & cycling the tank without fish. On the subject of plants, what they can grow very much depends on the lighting they have. If you can supply the lighting details I can help out with plants selection but until then all I can say is that if they want live plants, the time to add them is now, not later. Plants can really mess with an established bacteria population by sucking up all the ammonia before it ever gets to the filter to feed the bacteria.

Just a quick question about your tanks. I see you have a baby oscar in a 20gal. Is it going to get a bigger tank soon?