Reaction score
20190424_113936.jpg

Parameters
pH 7.4-7.6
Ammonia 0-5 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm

Tank
It is a 5 gallon tank that has been running about 4 years. My old fish Celeste passed away recently It has filter & heater and consistantly holds temp 77-78. He is by himself there is one moss ball.

Feeding
Feed him once a day about 4/5 pellets of Aqueon betta food.

Illness & Symptoms
My betta has always been perfect since I got him about 6 months ago. Few weeks ago I noticed a small slit on his tail so I upped my water changes from 25% a week to 50% to try and avoid fin rot.

I think I might not have avoided it but now I need help fighting it! It's been a little less then 3 weeks and his tail is so much worse! I have doubled the dose on API Stress Coat+ because it says it can help repair fins.

MamaLlama76

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have had good luck on various freshwater species (angelfish, bettas, livebearers etc.) treating fin rot, various fungi, and injury sites using MelaFix by API in an unconventional way. I catch the affected fish in a soft net, hold net in my palm only just out of the water and apply the medicine to the affected areas with a cotton swab dipped in the medicine. I do this every other day for a week to 10 days, depending on how bad off the fish was. I usually see fins re-growing and begin repairing themselves in about 36-48 hours.
I don't usually treat the whole tank of fish very often if I can help it, since medications (particularly antibiotics) can be detrimental to beneficial bacteria in the tank (if the fish are that sick I usually put them in a separate tank to treat them. ) Last time I had that problem (bad enough to isolate) was about 18 years ago and some of my 2 month old baby angelfish (from a pair that spawned) got a super resistant eye fungus from a 29 gallon grow out tank I got second hand from a co-worker at the daycare where I was teaching at the time.(I was in college and living with my folks at the time. Gave the tank to my brother for his snake.)

I usually go with MelaFix first as a remedy for most things bacteria or fungus, as it is made from Tea Tree oil and often many of the disease organisms seem resistant to many of the other medications, just like we have in antibiotics prescribed for humans.

Since you are treating a lone betta, you shouldn't need to isolate him and Melafix does not seem to harm any plants, snails etc., in my experience with it.

MamaLlama76

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also, I would consider getting some more plants for his little home, as he has plenty of room for them. They will use up more of the nitrogen (by-product of the fish poo breaking down) produced by the nitrogen cycle as food/fertilizer and help keep water quality in a good place. High water quality will help get your betta well again and help keep him that way.

Yerlany

Reaction score
Also, I would consider getting some more plants for his little home, as he has plenty of room for them. They will use up more of the nitrogen (by-product of the fish poo breaking down) produced by the nitrogen cycle as food/fertilizer and help keep water quality in a good place. High water quality will help get your betta well again and help keep him that way.
Yah I have been saving up my money to get him a 20 gallon that I plan to use live plants in. I know people keep live plants in 5 gallon tanks but for me it's always been tough. I have never successfully kept any plants besides a moss ball so I've been doing a lot of research before I buy anything.

I will try the Melafix technique you mentioned and hopefully I can get his new tank cycled and running soon!

MamaLlama76

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hope it helps your betta. 1 betta in a 5 gallon is like a mansion...20 would be a palace! Lucky fish! maybe he needs a snail for a friend.

I used to get sickly angelfish off the Walmart when I was in college in Branson, MO...treat the fin rot and fungus, get them into water they liked (6.5-6.8 pH, perfectly cycled water and some broadleaf plants like swords and 2-4 months later they had grown 2-3 times their size and were pairing off and trying to spawn.) You know they are happy if they want to make babies. I had to do water changes with distilled because the water there was described as liquid rock, to keep pH down for them...as fish go, angels are sort of finicky. Now, I probably couldn't keep them if I tried, as our well water has over 100+ degrees of hardness (that would make it liquid concrete, right? Haha!)

BlueRamLover

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Stress zyme cured all my problems with fin rot and stuff, I love that stuff :;banana1.

A great plant is Aponogeton natans it is a bulb plant, it may be a bit expensive but it survived through a 80ppm nitrate spike and its super pretty.

Here's a pic of the plant

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Yerlany

Reaction score
Stress zyme cured all my problems with fin rot and stuff, I love that stuff :;banana1.

A great plant is Aponogeton natans it is a bulb plant, it may be a bit expensive but it survived through a 80ppm nitrate spike and its super pretty.

Here's a pic of the plant
I regularly use Stress Zyme as well as Stress Coat. They haven't worked for me. The MelaFix strategy mentioned by @MamaLlama76 seems to have stopped the deterioration of my boys fin, but I have yet to see any new growth.

MamaLlama76

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I regularly use Stress Zyme as well as Stress Coat. They haven't worked for me. The MelaFix strategy mentioned by @MamaLlama76 seems to have stopped the deterioration of my boys fin, but I have yet to see any new growth.
I would keep treating him with the Melafix on a Qtip method once every other day for a week to 10 days. Keep your chin up, your little guy will get better.

New growth always appeared (in the damaged/torn areas) on my angelfish within a few weeks normally...a long term issue/resistant infection could take a little longer. I used this method on a daddy guppy we bought 12 days ago (one that was very stressed from arrival at the LFS and then purchase and transfer to our tank the following day) on his shipping frayed tail, he perked up within a few days (the mama guppies bought at the same time from same store...not so much, they seemed to have some sort of medication resistant parasite infection plus the stress and died within a week, even after dosing the tank with#1 Melafix, #2 Ick-X and Fungal remedy , then a fish dewormer.)

We went back to the LFS today for the pleco we had promised our 15 yr old son (after the male guppy, daughter's platies and the gory cats completed QT.) Mama guppies in store were in much better shape today (and they offered to replace the sickly ones they had sold us), so we came home with 3 sister-wives for the daddy guppy (one of which started dropping a litter of fry an hour after we put her in our tank! She's a pretty little thing 1/2 black with a tail that shades from aqua to turquoise. Her "sisters" have blue/green-gold and purple (with black dots) tails respectively.) Daddy guppy is an metallic light blue, with a navy edge to his tail and several multi color spots on his body, next few broods should be quite pretty fish. Kids were surprised by the near immediate appearance of fry...guessing a couple of them got eaten and maybe a couple were possibly a little "early", as a few of them were unable to swim right (they may have been the eaten ones.) 2 strong little fry are learning to hide from the other fish in the heavily planted tank.

Hubby wanted to try some freshwater shrimp in the tank for "clean up" and picked out a couple of ghost shrimp...experiment to see if they could survive our super hard/high pH water. Kids and I noticed while waiting for him to fuel the pickup, that 1 of the shrimp seems to be a "pregnant" mama full of little fluttering eyeballs. The other shrimp is smaller and is either younger and/or a male...Hubby did pretty good with that $2 "fish" purchase. I've never had invertebrates other than snails, so it should be an interesting science project for my 3 homeschooled kids to discover the process of spawning the shrimp.

The young clown pleco joined the gold mystery snail in our other 10 gal (turned QT tank) to battle the algae bloom that blossomed when the meds harshed the beneficial bacteria balance. Between the pair and a couple of weeks of water changes plus bacteria culture, hopefully it will get back to normal before any more baby fish arrive.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom