Need help! fish gulping at the top of the tank!

1. pavey Initiate Member

Hi Guys! I need help! i didnt know where to post this thread so i hope its ok here,
    When i got home this morning i noticed about 25% of my fish gulping for air at the top of the tank! i have a planted 6ft tank established, with convicts, severums, tigerbarbs, and a keyhole.
    I have two tanks at the moment one 30 gal with 5 juvenile green terrors.
    I think that the 6ft tank isnt getting enough oxygen! but i only have 1 airation stone between the two! so my question is! why are my boys at the top of the tank gulping for air! will a water change help?! i performed one not two days ago 25% Amonia - 0 nitrite 0.50 nitrate 10ppm, i added new plants yesterday, im worried that my guys are dying :( I just put the airaition stone in the 6ft so how long will it take to fully oxygenate the water?!

2. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi pavey,
    What temperature is your tank at? Anything above 28 degrees Celsius is getting a bit warm, and may start to cause a loss of oxygen in the water. If the tank is getting warm, lower the heater setting, and let the tank cool naturally.

Airstones will help, but you can also point your filter returns to the surface to create more surface agitation, thus creating more gas exchange, allowing carbon dioxide to be removed and oxygen to enter the water.

If the ambient temperature is causing a higher temp (assuming it is high), you can point a desk-fan or similar at the surface to help cool the water, and will also help with gas exchange (will also cause higher evaporation rates, so be prepared for that)

What has caused the nitrite to register? suggests a mini cycle ???

You can dose some prime into the tank to help de-toxify traces of ammonia/nitrite etc.

A water change can also help short term.

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Nitrites will make the fish gasp at the surface, IIRC.