Need help fish dying

Mkilgas

I’ve started a 55 gallon mbuna aquarium, with 20 fish of various species between 1 and 2 inches. The tank was fully cycled before I’ve added fish and I’ve had no problems with ammonia, nitrites (both zero), and nitrates have never exceeded 20 ppm. The pH is 7.6. I do a 50% water change once a week. My fish were alive healthy and eating for 3 months, but in the last 3 weeks 6 have died. I have not added any new fish or changed their diet. They eat spirulina flakes, nori, and cucumbers or zucchini. I haven’t had any aggression issues, and the fish that have died have fully intact fins. I don’t notice any spots or discoloration. All of the other fish seem healthy and are behaving normally. One by one a fish becomes lethargic and stops eating, and dies within a few days. I have tried treating the tank with super ick cure, melafix, and pimafix. Nothing seems to be working. Any suggestions?

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

I would suggest not medicating unless you know exactly what you have going on. The "Fixes" are junk IMO. They are just essential oils in water. They really dont do much except maybe act as an astringent.

What kind of fish are dying? It sounds like you are feeding all veggies.

Mkilgas

The fish that have died were a yellow lab, orange lab, hongi, chewere, red cheek, and a maingano. I do feed new life spectrum cichlid formula, and bug bites cichlid formula occasionally, maybe once per week. They don’t seem to like it though.

LowConductivity

Your water is hard enough for them?

Flyfisha

Hi Mkilgas
Welcome to fishlore.
I have zero experience with mbuna .

I do wonder what the GH ( mineral content) is of your tank water as you don’t mention it?

Mkilgas

I have not feed any frozen foods. And I’m not sure about the mineral content. I just have the API freshwater test kit.
I will test the hardness tomorrow and get back to you.

Mkilgas

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your quick responses. It turns out my water is too soft. Are there any products you'd recommend to increase the hardness with fish in the tank? I don't want to increase the pH too quickly.

Thanks again!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DaddyFred
Replies
Views
Bwood22
Replies
Views
tike
Replies