Need help finding lights for low-tech planted 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Steven89098, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Steven89098New MemberMember

I need help finding a light fixture that is about 40 watts and is 6700k or 6500k. My tank is 24in long and is 20 gallons. I don't want algae blooms and I'm not going to spend money on CO2 equipment.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. bass masterWell Known MemberMember

light by itself wont help your plants to grow, they also need nutrients, CO2 being one of those. You can rig up a DIY co2 right for under $5 no problem which should work well in a 20g tank. What wattage do you have right now and what plants are you growing? I would hook up a co2 rig and buy a good liquid food over just upgrading your lights, although more lighting does help.

3. Steven89098New MemberMember

my watts are about 18watts which is a little less than 1 wpg. I heard that the co2 alters your water chemistry. I also have root tabs

4. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

I would at least supplement a low-light, low-tech tank with a liquid fertilizer like Flourish, because your plants are liable to turn turn yellow, etc. without the proper nutrients. Having said that, I've had this list of plants open in a browser window for like a week, so I'll share:

Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus
    Windelov Java Fern, Windelov Fern - Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
    Narrow Leaf Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus v. 'narrow leaf'
    Java Moss - Vesicularia dubyana
    Green Hygro - Hygrophila polysperma
    *Sunset Hygro - Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
    Ceylon Hygro - Hygrophila polysperma 'Ceylon'
    Rotala Rotundifolia - Rotala rotundifolia
    Rotala Rotundifolia sp. Green - Rotala rotundifolia sp. 'Green'
    Rotala Indica - Rotala indica
    Hornwort - Ceratophylum demersum
    Parrots Feather - Myriophyllum aquaticum
    Moneywort, Water Hyssop - Bocapa monnieri
    Brazilian Pennywort, Pennywort - Hydrocotyle leucocephala
    Crypt Wendtii - Cryptocoryne wendtii
    Crypt Balansae - Cryptocoryne Balansae
    Pygmy Crypt - Cryptocoryne pygmaea
    Guppy Grass - Najas guadalupensis
    Anubias barteri - Anubias barteri v. barteri
    Anubias barteri 'marble' - Anubias barteri 'marble'
    Anubias barteri v. 'glabra' - Anubias barteri v. 'glabra'
    Anubias nana - Anubias barteri v. 'nana'
    Coffee leaf anubias - Anubias barteri v. 'coffeefolia'
    Crypt retrospiralis - Cryptocoryne retrospiralis
    Crypt spiralis - Cryptocoryne spiralis
    Golden nana - Anubias barteri v. 'nana golden'
    Narrow leaf nana - Anubias barteri v. 'nana narrow leaf'
    Petite nana - Anubias barteri v. nana 'petite'
    Philippine Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus 'Philippine'
    Red Java fern - Microsorum pteropus "red"
    Crypt Becketii - Cryptcoryne becketii
    Pelia - Monosolenium tenerum
    Waterwheel Plant - Aldrovanda vesiculosa
    Bacopa - Bacopa caroliniana
    African Water Fern - Bolbitis heudelotii
    Hornwort - Ceratophyllum submersum
    Crypt Aponogetifolia - Cryptocoryne aponogetifolia
    Micro Crypt - Cryptocoryne petchii
    Tropica Sword - Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica'
    Downoi - Pogostemon helferi

Courtesy of this thread on another forum:  

5. bass masterWell Known MemberMember

18 watts is somewhat acceptable if all of your plants are low light plants, what plants are you growing right now? CO2 does lower your pH but I havent had much of a problem running a diy rig in my 20g tank. Just be sure to have a little bit of surface movement during the night from a filter, bubbler, etc. to prevent the pH from swinging too much. I dont know much about root tabs but I dont think they do add co2, without co2, you can limit the growth of your plants quite a bit which can also lead to algae blooms.

6. Steven89098New MemberMember

7. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Er, I'm stupid and misread this thread entirely...thought you wanted plants for a low-tech tank. Oops. Sorry!

8. NutterFishlore VIPMember

I would just search ebay & craigslist for any dual 18w T8 fixture. You should be able to pick one up for under $30. That will give you 36w & there won't be a need to warry about co2. If your hood is of the right design you might even be able to use a dual 18w T8 fixture from a hardware store that costs about $20. You must be certain the fixture will not be effected by moisture though.

For all the nutrient stuff mentioned above, it really depends on what sort of plants you are going to have. If your plants are all low light/slow growing & you have a decent stocking level, you may not need any nutrients at all. Maybe the occasional dose of something like Flourish Trace. Let your plants health decide all the co2 & nutrient stuff for you. Advice can be given on that seperately if you find there is a need for it.

9. bass masterWell Known MemberMember

wouldnt high lighting and low CO2 levels lead to algae problems though?

10. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Yes they would but 36w of T8 over a 20gal tank should be ok without co2 injection unless the tank is really heavily planted. Light to moderate planting levels should be fine as long as there is some surface movement to introduce co2 from the atmosphere & the supply of nutrients is sufficient & regular.

11. bass masterWell Known MemberMember

interesting, thanks for the insight

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice