Need help finding driftwood for Amazon build

PAcanis

I've been Googling this on and off for a couple hours reading about different setups. It seems that when building an Amazon River build three types of driftwood are recommended. None of which come from the Amazon.
Is this an ecology thing where we cannot get driftwood from SA? Or maybe they do not export it as a cash crop. Preferring *other* cash crops ;)

It seems rather silly to use a shrub found in Western US for an Amazon River build. Even though it's great looking wood.

Or doesn't the type of wood used really matter when trying to create a biotope?

kansas

Some wood is fish safe and some is not. There are lists online, if you can tell one type from another.

MacZ

Or doesn't the type of wood used really matter when trying to create a biotope?
Definitely ignorable. And if you look at driftwood underwater in your local rivers or in the Amazon, as soon as it is covered in biofilm there is no visible difference anymore.

Biotopes have "grades" (the numbers are my own scale):
1. Just fish: Fish from same continent and maybe river system, but hundreds of km apart in the wild. The scape will usually be inspired by the habitats, but might not fit the actual habitat of the fish but rather be a generalised version.
2. Fish and plants. Scape inspired by the original habitat, but water parameters, and scaping materials are still generalised. Also there might be stand-ins used for certain plants.
3. Fish, plants and biotope type. As 2, but now a certain habitat like a small blackwater creek or a clearwater oxbow lake might be the inspiration for this tank.
4. Fish, plants, biotope type and conditions. Close enough for more "casual" fishkeepers. Same as 3, but now the water parameters have to fit aswell. Breeding might be a goal at that point but doesn't have to.
5. Purist. Mostly like 4 but now the fish have to come from the same tributary or lake. Wild caughts are preferred, plant stand-ins are no more an option. Softscape (botanicals) is now specific to the habitat, leaf litter has at least to look like the leaves found in the wild.
6. You-have-too-much-money-and/or-time. Perfect replica with wood, leave litter, even rocks and sand imported from the place where the fish were caught. Nobody does that. Even people that do fish collecting trips to South America or Africa don't do this.

I myself make a cut at Level 4. My driftwood is from around the globe, twigs and leaves mostly collected by myself in the woods (always have a batch of IALs for late summer in case last years yield was not enough for the whole year, rocks from the river, sand from the building supply store, plants broadly South American species and some cosmopolites, water from my RO unit. Only the fish come from Peru.

PAcanis

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
connorjs1004
Replies
Views
connorjs1004
Replies
Views
Redviper
Replies