Need Help Fast!

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Jacob54, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Jacob54

Jacob54New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Tank
    20 gallons

Running 6 months
    Filtered
    Heated
    78 degrees Fahrenheit
    Albino Bristle Nosed Pleco
    2 Dwarf Gourami
    1 Baby Molly

Maintenance
    Bi-weekly water change

30% change
    Water treated with API Stress Coat +
    Vacuum substrate and water

*Parameters - Very Important
    Take was already established from previous owner
    API Freshwater Master Test Kit used to test water

Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: .25 ppm
    Nitrate: 5.0 ppm
    pH: 7.6

Feeding
    Pleco - fed every 3 days 1 crushed Pleco wafer
    Others - fed daily small pinch of new life spectrum optimum flake, occasional frozen blood worms

Illness & Symptoms
    Sick fish - had for 1-2 months
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A week ago, attempted to treat with API PimaFix and API MelaFix
    Dwarf Gourami started with tattered fins, I thought it was being bullied by the slightly larger dwarf gourami. The torn fin fish was added to the tank second then the fins slowly started to degenerate more until today when I noticed the bottom fin was down to the body and redness or pinkness appeared
    Fish was not I’ll or injured upon purchase
    The fish’s behavior is oddly totally normal. The larger gourami is hiding a bit more often if anything.

I read online this may be a bacterial infection so I was possibly going to attempt to treat with API antibiotics ASAP.

Please help

Attached Files:

2. JamieLu

JamieLuWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +349
    Experience:
    2 years
    Well the nitrites reading isnt great, u want it to b 0 so ur prob going thro a mini cycle. U def need to b doing more than 30% water change every 2 weeks especially cuz theyre sick. Plecos alone produce alot of waste. Most people here, myself included do 50% every week. I dont know that id treat with meds right now since u have nitrites in the tank cuz that alone tanks a toll on fish, then ur adding meds which also can cause more harm then good. Try to start with frequent water changes, if u can get seachem prime its the best dechlorinator out there and helps detox ammonia and nitrites til u get thro that.

3. Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +211
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Your tank isn’t fully cycled ot else your nitrites would be 0. Gouramis are sensitive fish. They might not survive.

Do you do WC twice per week or once per two weeks ? You should do a WC every time your nitrites are above 0, to protect your fish. Do 50%. Everyday if you have to. Until you have no more nitrites.

The fact that your tank is six months old and not cycled makes me wonder what kind of maintenance you do on your tank and filter ? Can you describe it ?

4. OP
    OP
    Jacob54

Jacob54New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    The water of the tank is crystal clear. I get a little bit of green algae spots on the back of the tank near the heater. I have a bubbler on the left side of the tank and bought a newer higher grade filter which is on the right side of the tank. The filter isn’t a cartridge filter, it’s a biological hang on back filter. The filter instructs that it should be cleaned monthly so I take it apart monthly and clean off the parts but leave the biological media untouched. There is a sponge in it that I rinse out as well. I do 30% water changes every 2 weeks, which seems to not be enough by the indications above. I read online that too many water changes can be bad, so that’s why I wasn’t doing weekly 50%. There’s a lot of conflicting information online. Anyway, every time I do a water change I vacuum the gravel and pick up any loose debris. I have only had to scrub the walls of the tank once, because like I said the water is clear and I don’t get much algae. There are a couple of plants in the tank. I attempted to plant more but a few of them didn’t take. There are 3 large rocks in the tank as well as a couple smaller scattered rocks. The rocks tend to get a little bit of brown algae on them over time so I take them out when visibly dirty and clean them. Based on a lot of the stuff I’ve read online and seen through youtubers I can’t really figure out what is going wrong. I know I’m not doing enough water changes I guess.

5. OP
    OP
    Jacob54

Jacob54New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Alright, I’ll begin doing a lot more water changes. I don’t know why, but some sources online have said that doing too many water changes and changing too much of the water can be a negative. Am I okay to put the water in the tank through a siphon and treat the tank while doing so, or should I start putting the water into buckets, treating it, then put it in the tank. My water at home isn’t very heavily chlorinated. I will try to get that seachem prime to better treat the water regardless.

6. Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +211
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes, advice is conflicting on water changes. I had an aquarium when you weren’t supposed to change water much, and I have one now that gets 50% WC weekly. My tank is much better with 50% WC.

Think about fish in the ocean, they get 100% water change every minute ! Our fishes live in a glass box for our convenience, with almost none. The least we can do is change their water. People who breed will change water every day, that’s what the fish like in order to breed.

You can use a syphon and pour the water conditioner directly in your tank as the tank is filling. That’s what I do. Just treat the whole tank, even if you’re only changing 50%.

7. JamieLu

JamieLuWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +349
    Experience:
    2 years
    Just make sure u turn off the filter if u use the siphon to fill the tank. With my 75 gal i turn off the filter, add enough dechlorinator for the WHOLE tank and begin refilling it. If u leave the filter on before u dechlorinate it could kill some beneficial bacteria and thay wouldnt b good. And ya tons of conflicting info online, i like to go by experience from others on here cuz i feel like its alot better advice! Good luck!

Become a Fishlore Member