Need help fast please re cement block stand Question

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by psalm18.2, Dec 29, 2012.

1. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

So I'm setting up the 135g. I used the cement block in the past horizontally.

Problem is I need to use the block vertically for height.

Will this work? Which angle or placement should I use for best strength?

I'm using 2x8 wood beams on top of block, under tank, with styrofoam under glass.

Fast responses wanted. It's snowing, my house is torn apart, and my fish in tubs. Can't run out for more blocks.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

Maybe two more cinder blocks in the back for more support?

3. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

This is what I have so far.

Attached Files:

4. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Personally I think with the styro on top it should be ok, Thou you are talking a half ton of weight on it. I Would think that all should be ok with the number of blocks that you have. In the front unless your covering it I might turn them just for aesthetic reasons so that you see the cement side and not the holes but thats just me.

5. Mer-max

Looks like 2x4s in the pic. I agree I would turn the bricks also.

6. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

Thanks. I tuned the blocks so the holes face out. Seemed stronger that way. I will tape on a cloth to hide the blocks. We forgot to lay one down.

7. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Hi Psalm, i am not looking to cause you more work by any means, but if it was me, i would get myself 8 more blocks and set them back down and make it 2 blocks high.
    using cement blocks for strength should always be used horizontally. setting them at a vertical angle puts them at risk of cracking and breaking. The blocks would constantly have undo stress on them.
    just saying, your taking a big chance IMO.

8. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

Great. Now I'm super scared. I wish I never bought that tank!

9. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

That's not true! just some teething problems, in a month you'll be looking at it thinking, wow I'm so happy I bought this tank!

10. Mer-max

Disc is right. My house sits on them horizontally. Sorry I didn't think of that before. Then again my house weighs way more. Since its open underneath you might could take a cut piece of plywood, and a jack and drain most of the water, jack one side up and fix it then the other. Might help if your doing it solo. It was a real hassle moving my 75 with just gravel in it myself and I just moved it across the room.

11. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Putting them horizontal will also give you more spread weight distribution which should help re: your other thread. Definitely not something to play around with in such a large tank setup.

12. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I do agree as far as weight distribution goes they are stronger on their sides, I have seen blocks hold up for a long time vertically also. I think with the wood to help spread the weight out without having access to other blocks you will be ok, but again if you could get more blocks I would do as he suggested and double up.

13. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

cmu's or concrete masonary units are not meant to stand like that! dnt set that tank on them like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice