Need help fast my fish are getting sick and dying 75 Gallon Tank 

allgrunt

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
HI guys I am having problems with my 75 gallon tank, first I had my tank running for a year got some hardy fish to help with the cycle and water coditioner , I got the LFS to test my water to make sure it was safe.
So I bought some oscars and some catfish everything was fine until I bought a bigger tank a 200 gallon, so this means I had to move my 75 gallon tank in my living room.
So I did a 50% water change so I can relocate my tank add my water conditioner and big al's multI purpose bio support refilled my tank I add some pleco , id shark , arowana and a cray fish before putting these fishes in I got my water check at the LFS it was perfect they said.
I put them in the 75 gallon until my 200 gallon is ready and here is where it went wrong I normally don't feed them live food but once a month I feed them some feeder fish,but these feeder looked in very bad shape I only notice until I put them in the tank and some of them had ich and fins missing and also some died on the spot, so I took the crappy looking ones out and my oscar took car of the rest but then I notice my water got cloudy again so I did a water change of 20%, so two days ago I notice my albino oscar had ich and my id shark/catfish has it bad so I got lifeguard all in one treatment and started treating the water, I aso bumped up my temp to 82 so it will help with the ich. So now my water is clearing up slowly and then I notice my arowana has or looks like popeye and then my small pleco was floaing on the top of the take dead, I need some help I am going tommrow to test my water and see what they say. I also change the water every 3 days before this happean but now I am going to do it everyday. Please help my fish

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to fishlore, I wish it was under better circumstances though

I can't really help you unfortunetly, but hopefully someone will be along soon who can.

Ok, first of all, people are going to ask for exact parameters of the tank. So when you get it tested, write down the specific numbers and post them back here. Sometimes LFS say the water is fine but its better for us to know the numbers. Also, what type of testkit do they use? The strips are inaccurate and can't be trusted. Liquid testkits are the best, the API one being a favourite here.

Second, keep checking back this thread as this is where people will post back. Usually the mods remove email addresses for your own privacy and to avoid getting spammed etc.

If you can fill in the aquarium info in your profile, that would be great as it sets out the info clearly and is where members look when trying to work out the problem

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore,

So sorry to hear about your tank issues and fish loss.

First, it's not a good idea to feed feeder fish to your fish unless you raise them yourself. By raising them yourself you have a better chance of knowing if they have have some type of disease.

ICH, I would raise your temperature a bit more to 84 or 85 degrees, leave it there for a full two week period. Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Warmer waters require more oxygen so you may want to consider adding an air stone/supply line if you aren't currently using one. This should rid your tank of ICH. ICH may appear worse before it gets better. Keep your water temperature raised for the full two weeks even if all of the spots have fallen off prior to the two weeks being up.

It's best to have your own test kit so that you don't have to rely on information from others. Most widely recommended is the API (liquid) Master Test Kit. Paper test strips can be inaccurate and difficult to read so they aren't recommended.

It sounds like your fish may be suffering from ammonia poisoning although I can't say for certain without test results. Too, I'm not familiar with Big Al's Bio Support.

Popeye...pristine water conditions will help the Popeye disease.

Question, when you upgraded tanks did you also move the filter to the new tank? I have a feeling that your 200g may not be cycled.

Let us know what your test results are and we'll be able to help you more. If it isn't cycled then it's going to take daily water changes of 30 to 50%, add some Prime or Amquel + to detox ammonia for 24 hours until it's time for the next water change.

Tetra Safe Start (TSS) is the most widely recommended bacterial additive to jump start your cycle. It may work or it may not.

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/

Keep us posted.
Ken

gokaran

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How big is your filter

allgrunt

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The tank I got the fishes in is the 75 gallon my 200 gallon has not been setup yet, the 75 gallon is just a temp tank for them until the 200 gallon is safe.
HI thanks for the help.
I got the API test kit my PH is 7.6 the color blue and my freshwater ammoina is 0.50 I also got fresher water salt.
and your right the ich look worst since I have been treating the water also I have ehiem 2215 and I might get another filter.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to fishlore!
May I ask why you got salt?

allgrunt

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
just in case It my help, haven't to used it

allgrunt

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
now my arowana is acting strange he is not swimming at the top he is at the bottom and is swimming slow I think he is on his why out, Also my id shark is still swimming like crazy and he is eating but he still has a lot of inch, my oscars still strong and my pelco is fine also the cat fish are fine too.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

Some of the problem is the ammonia level. While it's not very high, any amount can hurt your fish. You should do frequet water changes with a detoxifier like Prime or Amquel+ until you get that ammonia under control.

I agree with what everyone has said and want to echo Ken's statement about raising your own feeder fish. It doesn't take much space, you could do it in a 5 gallon, but a 10 gallon would be better if you can swing it. Guppies are so prolific that you'll have no problems raising enough to feed your fish.

I hope things turn around soon!

-Lisa

allgrunt

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
did a water change and found a dead feeder in one of the deco

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Aw, I am really sorry to hear you have an ICH breakout.

For the aquarium salt, I'm one that has a different opinion on using it, it will help with gill function during this time. As long as it is pre-disolved before adding (crystals will burn if come in contact) and short term use is OK. Also, stick a super fine filter pad in your canister if you can, that is if you don't have one in there already, it will trap some of the free swimmers.

The best of luck.

allgrunt

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
should I get another filter

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you found a dead feeder in there then chances are you are going through a minicycle and having ammonia issues. You really need to get a liquid test kit and start regularly testing the water so you can see where you stand.

allgrunt

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
read the other post I did d a test look above pls

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
.50 ammonia is enough to cause stress related issues with the fish. I'm not well versed in ICH treatment, but if you are raising the tank temp to deal with it then definitely run an air stone to make up for lack of oxygen. The stuff you've posted so far just looks like classic signs of ammonia poisoning, that's why I mentioned it earlier.

allgrunt

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
tested my water again after putting the prime and the ammonia is at 0.25 now ph is the same

gokaran

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok
my 2 cents worh

the best u can do
raise the temp
check if ur filter is sufficient for the 200g tank
clean out the filter
increase aeration(if u already have an airstone of a decent size then its cool)
change water every other day
block out the light
feed once a day - no more

keep checking the levels
watch if any of the fish are harassing the others.

allgrunt

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
why block out the light

allgrunt

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
update my tank is looking 10 times better than before my fishes are swimming and they seem to be in a better mood my arowana is swimming more and more like crazy. I add another air pump and a bio wheel.
The only thing is the ich is still there how long does it take?
Funny thing my Pleco is bullying my oscar lol

gokaran

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok
give it two weeks from the time u started
the parasites cannot thrive without light
the ich or the eveidence of ich may still be there
but watch them

tell tale signs that something is not right
lack of movement(sitting arounf in one spot, top or bottom)
compressed fins
loss of appetite
gasping for air

but well done
lets just hopes its all gone

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads