Need Help... Disease Is Spreading?

TombedOrchestra

55 gallon, all levels good (0, 0, 20). Every other week w/c at 50%. I have 6 tetras, 2 mollies, 3 guppies, and just got about 30 fry.

All has been well for months. I have a recurring ich problem with ONE molly. He has been in quarantine since I got him about a month ago. He got ich in quarantine so I treated. I then reintroduced him to the main tank and he got ich. I removed him and treated again. This happened 3 times and he is just recovering from his 3rd bout of ich.

Just recently (about 5 days ago) one of my mollies got popeye in one eye. I moved to quarantine and he died within about 20 minutes.

I just got another guppie from a fish store two days ago and it just got popeye and died.

I believe another mollie of mine is getting popeye.

What's my course of action here? All my levels are good in my tank, so I don't think it's a water quality issue. I'm guessing there is some sort of disease in the tank?

Should I medicate? If so, with what...? Is this a bacteria or parasite infection? The fish with popeye have been flashing and swimming erratically.

Will medications hurt the 30 fry I have?

Thanks!

A201

Popeye is usually a later symptom of a bacterial infection. Since you have a QT tank, you might try an antibiotic. By the time you actually see the outward symptoms of a bacterial infection, irreparable damage usually has already occurred internally. IMO the best course of action would be to remove any affected fish, conduct a 35% - 50% WC with thorough gravel vac. Your goal should be to save the apparently healthy tank mates and fry. The flashing is a typical symptom of a parasite. Erratic swimming could be a symptom of either parasite or bacterial infections.

Whitewolf

Take out your filter put it in a 5 gallon bucket with airstone and treat the tank with tetracycline

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jake37
Replies
Views
smee82
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
Replies
Views