Need help determining if a piece(s) is usable

Crimson_687

So over the past few days I’ve been collecting potential driftwood for my tank. I’ll continue to collect pieces and post them here as I go.

image.jpg
This one either belongs to a maple, or is a very old wood. No bark on it at all, feels very light. I plan to cut it to what size I need and boil it. I have no idea if this thing will sink or how I will get it to sink though.

image.jpg
This one is most likely pecan. After I cut it, I’ll need to boil it, remove bark, and then bleach it to lessen tannins. While tannins are beneficial in a tank, I don’t like the way they discolor water. If I can, I want to reduce them. Also not sure if pecan is safe? I read one source that said walnut and any tree of that family is not safe, another said it’s fine.

image.jpg
These pieces are kinda iffy to me. They’re most likely oak. They still have some bark on them, but I think they might be too decayed to use. I would also have to bleach these to remove tannins.

StarGirl

I believe you can use any hardwood. You just don't want like pine or sappy woods. Just make sure it is all the way dried out to the center.

I wouldn't bleach wood. It can soak in and get into your tank. Just boiling it will get the tannins out. Those don't look like they would have much anyway.

Upvote 0

Crimson_687

I believe you can use any hardwood. You just don't want like pine or sappy woods. Just make sure it is all the way dried out to the center.

I wouldn't bleach wood. It can soak in and get into your tank. Just boiling it will get the tannins out. Those don't look like they would have much anyway.
Thank you so much! Just a few more questions

- when I cut open the wood, how will I know it is completely dry? Should it be one single color with no layers visible?

- What should I look for, in terms of decay or softness, that will tell me a wood is not usable?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

It will just be brown not green. Dry looking. If it is super spongy and not hard i wouldn't use it.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chiasmodon
  • Question
Replies
Views
hckychik248
  • Question
Replies
Views