need help deciding!!!!

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Stocking' started by MrTropics, Nov 30, 2012.

1. MrTropics

MrTropics Valued Member Member

Ok i am torn between two things. I am on the boarder between a 14 gallon nano tank with maybe a clown and soft corals that i can bring to college next year or a larger snowflake eel tank that'd i would need to eventually have to leave behind. I am so torn because i want to enjoy this hobby while at college but a snowflake eel tank is my ultimate dream tank. What would you guys do? 15 gallons is maximum college tank size. Could i keep swapping about for new baby eels every other month or is that size tank still too small for newborn eels. Any comments on what you would do are welcome and encouraged.
    Jayson

2. Oso

Oso Well Known Member Member

get an apartment instead :p trust me dorms are awful!

3. OP
    OP
    MrTropics

Haha really? What size tanks do most apartments allow you to have?

4. Oso

Oso Well Known Member Member

I have a 40 gallon and a 20 gallon. You might just have to pay a pet deposit for them. And will probably have to live on the bottom floor.

5. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Jayson,
    IMO, a 14G isn't large enough, and also, it's not fair on the eels ;)

A SW tank is a fair commitment, and if you were to leave it, who ever gets the task of looking after it needs to be into the hobby as well.

If you must have SW, I'd go the 14G reef option. But in saying that, a 14G is right on the edge of acceptable for a clown. A 20 would be much better (for one clown)

6. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I imagine the expense/effort with trading in your eel every month too. Always remember, the bigger the better.

P.S. I lived off-campus when I studied and it was MUCH better. No pressure though!

7. OP
    OP
    MrTropics

Ok i kinda figured that but was still a little curious. What kind of corals would you recommend for a smaller tank?

8. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Zoas,mushrooms, ricordeas, frogspawn, bubble corals, polyps, leathers, and cabbage corals.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice