Need help deciding which coarse sponge filter to choose for my tank

tapwater

Hi everyone! I'm in the process of getting a sponge filter for my tank, and have been eyeing the aquarium co-op coarse sponge filter for some time now, and need help in deciding what size I should get for my tank. (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link it here, but it has all the sizes and everything on their website).
My tank a 5.5gal, and measures 16 3/16 inches long by 8 3/8 inches wide, and 10 1/2 inches tall. I'm thinking about doing two or more inches of substrate (I've been thinking about doing rooted plants), though I'm not entirely sure yet, but I'm trying to keep that in mind.
I feel like a medium might be too large (though I am basing that on the fact its height is 8 inches (including the stand and the tube thing at the top), but could be an option if I cut the top tube. I'm just not sure what size to go with; nano, small, or at most medium? I'm also not sure which would be best for filtration (this tank is going to have a betta in it, and possibly a nerite snail but that is not decided yet).
Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

BigManAquatics

I vote small.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Others are free to disagree, but for that stocking level I think you'd be okay with the nano.

Upvote 0

JamesVader

Yeah I have would definitely go for the small, I’ve looked at these sponge filters before.

Upvote 0

Fishnturtleguy933

I would go with the nano as that is whats recommended on their website for 5 gallons. You could go with the small but that but might be too big.

Upvote 0

Kathylee

Hi everyone! I'm in the process of getting a sponge filter for my tank, and have been eyeing the aquarium co-op coarse sponge filter for some time now, and need help in deciding what size I should get for my tank. (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link it here, but it has all the sizes and everything on their website).
My tank a 5.5gal, and measures 16 3/16 inches long by 8 3/8 inches wide, and 10 1/2 inches tall. I'm thinking about doing two or more inches of substrate (I've been thinking about doing rooted plants), though I'm not entirely sure yet, but I'm trying to keep that in mind.
I feel like a medium might be too large (though I am basing that on the fact its height is 8 inches (including the stand and the tube thing at the top), but could be an option if I cut the top tube. I'm just not sure what size to go with; nano, small, or at most medium? I'm also not sure which would be best for filtration (this tank is going to have a betta in it, and possibly a nerite snail but that is not decided yet).
Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
I purchased the Medium & it was a lot larger than I thought it would be! So I would not get a medium for a 5.5, deff the small like the others agreed upon. I purchased 2. Just to have to set up QT tanks when I purchase new fish. I still have the 2cd one in a box. I'll show you a photo of how large it is!

16162010439566726311888110276514.jpg
( I just held up the sponge to my 5 gallon just to see what it look like for comparison, and it would technically fit; but would utilize a lot of space, there was maybe 1-1.5in of space left above the Green Tube)

Upvote 0

The2dCour

I have a small in my 10 and medium in my 20 and large in the 40 if that helps.

Upvote 0

Basil

I also have the small in my 10 g. I think it would be too large in a 5.

Upvote 0

Broggy

I know they are just sponge filters, but I love them

the nano is more than enough for a 5 gallon. there's a reason that its labeled as such. I use small sizes in my 10s and 20s.

Upvote 0

Shannon108

I have the small in 2 of my 5.5 gals, same dimensions as you have. I like to over filter all my tanks, cuz it doesn’t really hurt but it’s easier to keep water quality good and I don’t have to worry about missing a water change and it being really bad. The only fish I have in my 5.5 gals are 1 betta in each, and I still have a small in them

Upvote 0

Redviper

I have a small in my 10 and medium in my 20 and large in the 40 if that helps.

Being a canister filter snob, there was a time when I wouldn't even consider a foam filter. I changed my mind after watching Corey's "what filter is best for you" video. It made me wonder what I could do to keep my wet friends alive in the case of a deep black-out. I haven't worked out the kinks yet, but a large, seasoned sponge filter and a chained-UPS system seems like a great idea.

The2dCour, what I'd like to know, if you're so inclined, is how well your sponges maintain good water parameters?

OP, something said in the video might interest you. Sponge filters with air-stone's that produce smaller bubbles function in a more uniform manner.

Upvote 0

JollyOtter

I purchased the both the nano and a small to see which fit a 6 gallon best. The nano was a better fit and is working great.

Upvote 0

The2dCour

Being a canister filter snob, there was a time when I wouldn't even consider a foam filter. I changed my mind after watching "what filter is best for you" video, It made me wonder what I could do to keep my wet friends alive in the case of a deep black-out. I haven't worked out the kinks yet, but a large, seasoned sponge filter and a chained-UPS system seems like a great idea.

The2dCour, what I'd like to know, if you're so inclined, is how well your sponges maintain good water parameters?

OP, something Corey said in the video might interest you. Sponge filters with air-stone's that produce smaller bubbles function in a more uniform manner.
The only tank that relies solely on a sponge filter is the 10g with shrimps and snails. The 20g has an aquaclear 30, the 40g had an aquaclear 50 and a ziss bubble bed filter. The 20g houses lots of snails and endlers, the 40g has 100s of mystery snails among other things. I recently took all the gear out of the 40 and put in a canister.
The large filter I had never cleaned (it had moss rhizoids attached) was still filtering like a champ no side bubbles, air stone making nice fine bubbles. All gone, one fluval 407 runs the show.

Upvote 0

Redviper

The only tank that relies solely on a sponge filter is the 10g with shrimps and snails.

Planted as well? Do you keep this mixture of animals for some special reason? I should say this so you guys know where I'm coming from. My tastes in aquarium fish really hasn't changed in 40-years. That's why I'm so amazed by some of the livestock you folks keep.

The large filter I had never cleaned (it had moss rhizoids attached) was still filtering like a champ no side bubbles, air stone making nice fine bubbles. All gone, one fluval 407 runs the show.

Then I'd be well served by appropriately sized sponge filter for emergeny use. I seriously considered a 407, but the way my 406 went down in flames, I decided not to chance it. My first choice would have been an OASE 850, but they aren't commonly available in the US yet. Don't fret though, the 407 seems to have fixed the annoying aspects of the 406.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Islandvic
  • Question