Need help deciding on what fish to get for my tank!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by zinnia15, Aug 10, 2015.

1. zinnia15New MemberMember

I have had a 50 gallon tank for 5 years. Right now, I have the fish that I have had for 4 years: 2 adult angelfish (a little territorial, but they have gotten better), 1 iridescent shark (pretty big and funny), 2 adult silver dollars, and 1 red rainbowfish (its partner died a year ago). Anyways, I really want to get some more fish. Since I have pretty decent sized fish, I was thinking if maybe I could get more small schooling fish, like swordtails, scissortail rasboras, and platys. I also would like to get a gourami and maybe a cory catfish. I would just like some advice :)

2. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore! :)
    A few things here, the ID shark will need to be rehomed. They get huge, if it has been living in the 50 gallon tank then he could be stunted. Silver dollars are schooling fish so they need Atleast 6+ of their own and need a larger tank. Rainbow fish are also schooling fish which do best in groups of 6+. They are very active swimmers and do best in long tanks. Is this 50 gallon one of those cubed shaped ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Agreed with Brandon. Yes, what are the dimensions of the tank?
    All schooling fish should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own species, so do your research on the particular type of fish you want to see if it is schooling or not.

4. zinnia15New MemberMember

I'm aware that the rainbowfish and the silver dollars are both schooling fish :) I think I will purchase some more silver dollars, but I'm hesitant about the rainbowfish- about a month ago i purchased 2 turquoise rainbowfish to go with my rainbowfish. They were smaller, probably about half the size of the one I have now, and they were immediately stressed out by the 2 huge angels and the ID and died. The rainbowfish is doing fine on its own, so I guess I will leave him alone. Would platies do okay? I was also thinking about some scissortail rasboras (4).

And, in means of dimensions, it is roughly equally as long as it is tall. It is a rectangular shape, but it does bulge out in the front in a half-circle.

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Can you give the exact dimensions in inches please?

6. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Yes the dimensions of the tank. Rainbow fish are Avery active so they don't really do best in tall tanks. Longer tanks is better. I would rehome the silver dollars instead of finishing off the school. They need a larger tank and get pretty big.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. zinnia15New MemberMember

Just measured it.

It is 21 inches tall, and it is 37.5 inches wide.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice