need help cycling my tank im confused and in a dilema

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by kaitlin4599, Jul 30, 2015.

1. k

kaitlin4599 Valued Member Member

ok so i bought a 10 gallon fish tank last thursday and it came with an internal power filter that sits in the tank any how, i soaked the gravel in water over night before putting it in my tank. the tank and the filter have been running since saturday so for about 5 days. i should note i dont have a heater yet as my local fish store was out of stock so had to order one off the net should be here by monday, also i dont have any water testing cant afford ther test kits because i dont get paid for at least another 2 weeks, but i know that petsmart offers free water testing. also i can ADD some small betta food pellets into the tank not sure if adding the pellets will help the tank cycle but better safe then sorry i have read all the cycling guides on here and im still lost. now onto the dellema

ok so heres my dellema my mom went to a local fish store here in town not a big box store but a family owned store and bought me some fish with out asking me if my tank was ready for fish she bought me mainly tetras and guppies i called the store and they can only hold my fish till monday so im at a loss i have to take the fish by monday what are my options and do u think my tank will be cycled enough by monday for fish?

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi and welcome to Fishlore! :)

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? If not, I suggest reading up on it by clicking the link as well as other topics listed on the stickies for Freshwater FIsh Beginners.

As for your dilemma, your tank would definitely not be cycled by Monday if you were just adding pellets. A lot of people on this forum have used bacteria products which help speed the cycling process but that would still take about 1-2 weeks for the tank to be fully cycled. I recommend returning the fish and doing the fishless cycle.

I understand it might be tough for you to get a water test kit (and when you get one make sure it's the API Freshwater Master (liquid) Test Kit) now but could you ask your mom to lend you some money to buy one until you get paid? You could ask petsmart to test your water for you in the meantime but I think they usually use test strips which are inaccurate.

Finally, how many tetras and guppies did your mom buy? Depending on the type of tetras and the number of fish, they may not be suitable for a 10g.

3. OP
    OP
    k

she bought 2 blue guppies and 2 glow light tetras i cant return the fish unless there sick or unless they are unhealthy well thats what the hole in the wall fish store told my mom when she bought them what else can i add into the tank to speed up the fishless cycle so that i can get the fish in the tank on monday

EDIT also if i cant put any fish in untill the tank is cycled can i at least add one small mystery snail to the tank?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

The only way to quicken your cycling so it finishes before Monday is to add filter media from an established tank that already has some bacteria on it and just monitor the water parameters once the fish are in.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    k

ok update i was ale to get the fish store to old the fish for me till next weekend and i bought some bacteria liquid from petsmart they will also be testing my water for me thanks for all the help ill keep u posted

6. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Don't put a mystery snail in yet, they're sensitive to toxins and don't do well with cycles, it's really hard on them. Hope you get your tank cycled in time for your new fish!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. OP
    OP
    k

i was going to wait till monday afternoon to put the mystery snail in yet that should give the tank 3 days to cycle then once the snail is in ill wait till the weekend to add fish as the tank should be some what cycled by then is that ok or no?

EDIT aside from testing my water and getting the bateria going what else do i have to do in a fishless cycle do i need to do any water changed if so how much water and how often btw this is a 10 gallon tank

8. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I would wait until the tank is fully cycled to add the snail, it really won't do well if there is any ammonia or nitrite present in the water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

OP, in my opinion, the food pellets are fowling the water before you're putting your fish in. So otherwise healthy fish are going to start out in fowl water.
    If you have to do a fish in cycle, start out clean. Do a lot of partial water changes once the fish go in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice