Need Help Cycling A Sponge Filter

lexieboo

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon tank that is completely cycled. I just got a sponge filter today for my 5 gallon tank that isn’t cycled that currently has fry in it. I want to speed up the cycling process as quickly as I can because I’ve already had 1 fry die. Is it possible for me to put the new sponge filter in my 10 gallon tank that is cycled so It gets good bacteria on it then I can switch the sponge into my 5 gallon to quickly cycle it?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It would take about two weeks for the sponge to populate with bacteria. You could take some filter media from your established tank and put it into one of those mini HOBs or in tank filters for an instant cycle.

lexieboo

Reaction score
maggie thecat said:
It would take about two weeks for the sponge to populate with bacteria. You could take some filter media from your established tank and put it into one of those mini HOBs or in tank filters for an instant cycle.
I’m pretty new at this fish stuff so I’m not exactly sure what you mean. I have a power filter in my 10 gallon.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In your filter there is various stuff - sponge, floss, ceramic rings, plastic balls, maybe a charcoal cartridge. That is filter media. The beneficial bacteria that process fish waste live there (also in the substrate, and on the hardscape ).

If you take some of the filter media and put it into a new filter, that's called instant cycling, because you are transplanting a colony of beneficial bacteria from the old tank to the new one.

As I said before, if you were to take a new sponge and put it in your old tank, it would take roughly two weeks to populate the sponge with bacteria, and that won't help your current situation. You could, for future eventualities, run an extra sponge in your 10 gallon, and then move it where you need to.

For right now, I would just move some media into a new filter and go with that.

lexieboo

Reaction score
maggie thecat said:
In your filter there is various stuff - sponge, floss, ceramic rings, plastic balls, maybe a charcoal cartridge. That is filter media. The beneficial bacteria that process fish waste live there (also in the substrate, and on the hardscape ).

If you take some of the filter media and put it into a new filter, that's called instant cycling, because you are transplanting a colony of beneficial bacteria from the old tank to the new one.

As I said before, if you were to take a new sponge and put it in your old tank, it would take roughly two weeks to populate the sponge with bacteria, and that won't help your current situation. You could, for future eventualities, run an extra sponge in your 10 gallon, and then move it where you need to.

For right now, I would just move some media into a new filter and go with that.
Ok thank you so muchhhh

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom