Need help concerning my dog.

AshWolFF

I have a 4 ish year old dog, his name is Oliver but changed to Ollie. He's living with his son, a 7 month old puppy. Ollie is a meagle, a minI pin mixed with a beagle. I got him from a shelter as a puppy.

He was a healthy weight and I've ALWAYS kept a good diet on him but he gained weight increasingly and now is at a dangerous peak of health. He is allergic to beef, chicken, lamb, and sometimes pork. We feed him nothing but veggie/salmon diet food.

The vets don't know what's wrong with him as he gets daily walks and playtime. Some say its a thyroid gland problem and some say he was born with a lot of fatty genetics which means he doesn't metabolize well.

I've had lots of problems with him, I love him very much but due to the massive weight gain and poor breed he has two knees that are in terrible conditions, his tiny minI pin legs cannot hold up his big beagle weight causing constant painful dislocations. The vets say they can fix this but its 1,200 USD for EACH knee.

Also, he got a weird growth on his side and I to pay for surgery, another 800 bucks, to get it removed since it caused awkward waddling and bloating...The vets say it's not cancer and it's harmless.

Well now we're at the dangerous point of life for him. I've asked the vets for a special food that recently came out that is suppose to work literal miracles, still have to pay an arm and a leg for that but it's got a ton of good reviews, but that was 2 months ago and although I call them every other day they just say "It's coming in, it's coming in." Once they said it was in, I was thrilled, but when I got there they said they didn't have it, it was a wrong shipment.

He's now 50% body fat. He's in pain due to the weight, uncomfortable, and his knees and back are bothering him. I feel terrible for him. I've bought and kept him on prescribed pain meds for his knees which helps and I am out again...trying to get the extra money from family due to the expenses.

Thank for reading my novel...but here's the QUESTION:

He's been not acting well. He's started breathing hard, excessive panting, and now he's started going behind the couch to sleep which I know means that animals go and hide to die.

Is this is turning point? What can I do?

Corine

Green beans are a great filler for overweight dogs. Helps them feel full with out all of the calories.
Is the food hes eating grain free? What kind is it? How many meals does he eat a day? How often and how long are his walks?
Sorry for all of the questions. Trying to get a clear picture. Beagles are prone to obesity, but this is definitely out of the norm.
Edit: Its hard to tell when his time will come. Hows his fluid intake? Any abnormal symptoms other than what you listed?

AlaFish

My only advice, like having a child...get another vet.

JustKeepSwimming

People like to debate that fixing an animal leads to weight gain but my husband was a vet tech for years and I can say with utmost certainty that it does make them more susceptible to obesity. It sounds like his hormones have gone off of the deep end, coupled with a lineage of inbreeding that has given him other medical conditions. Seek the advice of another vet. Taste of the Wild is a fantastic food and comes in many varieties, I've had nothing but great experiences with it, it's a food to consider. He's obviously not feeling well and may require hormone therapy. Good luck with him.

matsungit

I had both my dogs undergo a thyroid test as a routine check. Maybe you should do the same. With a thyroid problem they will gain weight from little to normal feeding and if you underfeed you run the risk of malnutrition. This pretty much makes prescription food mandatory. My shih tzu weighs more than normal but still well below obesity. Thyroid problems came out negative for both my dogs. They eat Blue Buffalo exclusively from the very beginning.

They sell prescription food by Royal Canin here at Banfield (Petsmart) in the US but they won't let you purchase one without a medical card from their vet.

If you are currently underfeeding, a daily mutimineral/multivitamin supplement will help keep nutrition in check.

LyndaB

I agree that it's time for a 2nd opinion vet-wise. Obviously, the dog is in great distress. I've had to switch my food around for just 1 of my dogs. The other 2 do fine on all foods. Ended up with something called "healthy hips" and it works wonders for him. Buy it at the grocery store. Prior to that, we'd been led down the primrose path buying all kinds of foods you can only purchase from the vet. Added more fruits and veggies (real) and less kibble, and he's doing fantastic. Go with your instinct.

Sturty

Ove got two staffys who could eat a horse each for breakfast, so to keep them well fed and full but controll their weight I use a lot of plain rice in their diet. Its a great filler but doesn't lead to weight gain. Might be an option for weight management.

Ziabis

I wouldn't fix his knees until the all weight has been taken off. Good luck I hope your friend can lose the weight.

AshWolFF

Right now I've got him on Royal Canine before that it was Blue Buffalo and my dogs loved the taste of the food even when it was only salmon + veggie food but Ollie started his allergies again and when I looked it up they said that they process the salmon through where meat has been handled. It's a good food for dogs not allergic to meat though I wished they said that on the package before I bough 2-3 40 USD bags.

I'm going to try to get some real veggies in his diet right now instead of dog treats/milkbones he's getting carrots. I'll try the rice, we got a load of that inexpensively here.

I'm going to this other vet tomorrow for a thyroid check, if that's the problem, I'll pay for the surgery and then sign him up for the exercise classes there.

If it's not I'll try the miracle diet food stuff if I find it from another vet place.

As for Corine 's questions.

He's still drinking a healthy amount of water, I'll check into the grain free thing I'm not sure, and he gets half a cup of food in the morning and half cup at night + carrot. His walks are in the morning and night, 30 minutes.

LyndaB

Try feeding him veggies that have a high water content, like cucumber. That will be a natural diuretic for him.

matsungit

Is he on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic food right now? Too bad he has allergies. Blue Buffalo is such a good product. My dogs are on BLUE Wilderness Grain-Free Healthy Weight Dog Food right now which is about $56 for a 24lb bag. My dogs go to Rose City Veterinary right now but before that they were on a Puppy Plan at Banfield. Let us know how the thyroid test goes and good luck!

AshWolFF

Try feeding him veggies that have a high water content, like cucumber. That will be a natural diuretic for him.

I tried a bit of cucumber and rice, he took the rice but when he got to the cucumber he gave me this: "What the heck are you feeding me now?" I tried putting a very thin smidge of peanut butter to coax him but he denied it.

Yeah he's on that I believe. Blue Buffalo is a really good product and I am still feeding that to my other puppy who really enjoys it. I just have to separate the two during feeding time as Ollie will pick Gizmo up and drag him off just to eat his food.

matsungit

LOL. At least Ollie is in good spirits.

My wife and I went through the same thing with Ryokie back home in the Philippines. He was extremely overweight and also had arthritis. The glucosamine and chondroitin supplements kept the pain at bay. He died peacefully at the age of 15 most likely due to a stroke.

Corine

I've done a LOT of research and I really recommend avoiding white rice. I've seen articles that indicate that white rice can cause diabetes and obesity. If you must feed rice, feed brown rice.
I really recommend using frozen green beans(no salt added) as a filler. I've seen it work for multiple dogs, and its relatively cheap.
Carrots are a great treat, but are high in sugar and may cause diarrhea if you feed too much. For my Chihuahua Jonsey, any more than an inch long piece of carrot makes him need to rush outside very quickly. >.<
I also recommend checking out this website: He breaks down each food by its ingredients, and provides you information on the amount of protein, fat and carbs in each food. I personally like Orijen and wellness core, though Jonsey himself is on a raw diet. It's is great for him, but can be a lot of work.
It looks like the first ingredient in the Hypoallergenic Royal Canin is potato. I'd really prefer to see an overweight dog eating a food with a higher amount of protein.
How much does Ollie weigh right now? What is his ideal weight?
If possible, gradually increase the amount of time he walks each day. The more calories he can burn the better, but you have to keep an eye on his knees.
I would suggest breaking his feedings up into four smaller meals if possible, or feeding him his kibble through a treat ball. It'll force him to work a little more for his food and become a bit more active.
Just make sure if you add anything to your food, that you remove enough of the kibble that you aren't giving him extra calories. If he still gets his 1/2 cup twice a day plus some brown rice and green beans it won't get him anywhere.
This might be an interesting read as well:

JustKeepSwimming

I second avoiding white rice, and Blue Buffalo caused bowel issues in my sister's dogs, so I would avoid that as well. White rice will just make his obesity worse.

AshWolFF

Thank you for the information.

He weighs 35 pounds when he should be 10-12 range due to his minI pin legs. I had no clue his breed would make him so miserable unfortunately.

Is brown rice the stuff that's in Mexican food, kind of rice? lol.

What I used to do before the puppy was I would hide Ollie's food + treat somewhere in the house. I'd would tell him to go find it and we'd do this every once a week...but now that the puppy is here he wins all the time.

I do have a treat ball...just haven't used it yet.

As for Blue Buffalo, I can keep an eye on the puppy, he's wee little, 9 pounder Silky Terrier. Doesn't look anything like his daddy. He is sensitive to foods but I haven't seen him anything bad with the food.

Corine

Poor little guy. Have you heard anything ad far as thyroid
tests and all that?
Brown rice is rice in its origional form before the germ is removed to make it last longer. Like the difference in wheat bread and white bread. The brown version is better for you.
https://globalhealing.com/natural-health/brown-rice/

AshWolFF

Poor little guy. Have you heard anything ad far as thyroid
tests and all that?
Brown rice is rice in its origional form before the germ is removed to make it last longer. Like the difference in wheat bread and white bread. The brown version is better for you.
https://globalhealing.com/natural-health/brown-rice/

The Thyroid test came back negative. He doesn't have a thyroid problem. Though the good news is I got my good dog food in, it's called Metabolize?

JustKeepSwimming

Cut back his food intake drastically (enough to live on, but not to starve him obviously) and maybe take him swimming in warm water somewhere. Swimming is good for the body. Just a few minutes a week would be a great help I think.

Careful about buying into the food=miracles thing because it's always not the case. However, keeping them on a high quality diet IS important so either way it's good.

Salmon is very fatty, but if it's the only meat he can eat then so be it.

I wouldn't feed him more than one treat a day at this weight.

Here's hoping for the best, good luck!

Corine

Cut back his food intake drastically (enough to live on, but not to starve him obviously) and maybe take him swimming in warm water somewhere. Swimming is good for the body. Just a few minutes a week would be a great help I think.

Careful about buying into the food=miracles thing because it's always not the case. However, keeping them on a high quality diet IS important so either way it's good.

Salmon is very fatty, but if it's the only meat he can eat then so be it.

I wouldn't feed him more than one treat a day at this weight.

Here's hoping for the best, good luck!
Great idea! Swimming is great excercize and shouldnt stress his knees!

matsungit

The Thyroid test came back negative. He doesn't have a thyroid problem. Though the good news is I got my good dog food in, it's called Metabolize?

Hope it works out for him. Maybe a bit of exercise will do him good (more play time?). He might lose some weight as well as gain strength for his legs to support his extra weight.

AshWolFF

Well its the food is all veggies, little bit of chicken not to bother him, and yes I've tried making him swim in the backyard pool but once he doesn't feel the ground under his paws he freaks out until I put a big hand under his gut and guide him. Haha. I need to train him to be a swimming dog.

It's doggy boot camp now.

matsungit

haha. He'll get used to it and eventually he'll probably learn to like it. Make him feel like it's play time rather than a chore to do. I think meat is okay as long as it is not often. I guess obesity is a common problem for dogs as well as people.

JustKeepSwimming

Yeah he will get used to it eventually.

ruffian

I would third the green beans, they really do work, they are low calories, add fiber, thus they take longer to digest and the dog doesn't act like its starving. I had to do it for my Shiba Inu a few years ago she lost her extra 8lbs in a couple months!

As for food, have you tried the limited ingredient foods that are available?

becky3086

Well, we have our Juliet. She is old and she was fat when we rescued her and she has gotten a lot worse. It is Phil's fault! He feeds all the dogs too many treats but the vet made sure to tell him this time that Romeo was overweight (she hasn't seen Juliet yet, that is next week). So Phil isn't allowed to give the dogs treats anymore and he isn't allowed to feed them more than 2 bites of his food. They eat a weight control canned food in the morning and are taken for at least 2 walks a day but I try to do 3 if I can manage it. On the weekends we walk them all the way down to the lake which is all downhill on the way down but all up hill on the way back. Juliet goes slow but she goes. Juliet has gone from lazing around all day barely getting up to go out, to getting all excited to go for her morning walk and RUNNING! We still have a long way to go but she's worth it. Good luck with yours!

AshWolFF

Thank you! I will be making an update soon.

matsungit

Some interesting read.

Irish Rose

I have stopped giving milkbone and other treats because they are so high in calories. I now dehydrate sweet potatoes for my dogs. They love them. I will slice 4 sweet potatoes and dehydrate them. They last 2 weeks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• WTFish?
  • Dog
Replies
Views
WTFish?
  • Momgoose56
  • Dog
Replies
Views
WTFish?
  • PhantomSlayer
  • Dog
Replies
Views
Mcasella
  • Jahnikar
  • Dog
Replies
Views
FridayGt
  • Dlondon95
  • Dog
Replies
Views
LyndaB

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Members need 50 posts to use the buy, sell, trade forum. 50 posts are needed to use the private message conversation system too.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom