Need help, cloudy water fish fatalities.

IKnowNothing

Please help. My water is extremely cloudy, the gravel is tinted white and my glass has some sort of film on it. About three days ago I saw that my tank was a bit dirty. I did a water change of about 25% and let it sit. I put about 1 ml of API water conditioner in every 1-2 liters. Later I saw it it was slightly cloudy so I did about a 15% water change and have been doing them every day for the last three days until two of my beloved cherry barbs died. I stopped water changes and need help.

BGKFan

do you have an API master test kit yet? if not you should get one. Id like to know the readings you are getting. Cloudiness can be caused by a cycle/minicycle. not sure about the film you speak of but a picture would help. likely bacteria

IKnowNothing

BGKFan said:
do you have an API master test kit yet? if not you should get one. Id like to know the readings you are getting. Cloudiness can be caused by a cycle/minicycle. not sure about the film you speak of but a picture would help. likely bacteria
I do. Everything reads out normal. The fish looked horrible and were swimming at the surface and gasping for air. I have transferred them to a very small 4-5 litre container. The water somewhat stings to the touch.

BGKFan

IKnowNothing said:
The water somewhat stings to the touch.
it ...stings.... ? Is you heater malfunctioning... try unplugging it and stick your hand back into the water and still if it still stings. If it still stings then that's wierd... and I would definitely do a 100% water change (keep the filter media submerged in the ...weird water) and give the tank a quick wipe down with 1 cup of white vinegar in 1 gallon of water. but hopefully your heater is just malfunctioning

IKnowNothing

BGKFan said:
it ...stings.... ? Is you heater malfunctioning... try unplugging it and stick your hand back into the water and still if it still stings. If it still stings then that's wierd... and I would definitely do a 100% water change (keep the filter media submerged in the ...weird water) and give the tank a quick wipe down with 1 cup of white vinegar in 1 gallon of water. but hopefully your heater is just malfunctioning
It's not hot. I have an abrasion on my hand and usually water would not sting but it does.
I can't do one at the moment I will have to hope my fish make it through the night in the 5 litre container.

IKnowNothing

Did the heater thing, it still stings. It's most likely chemical.

BGKFan

maybe... do you have anything else electrical in the tank? Internal filter power head... idk are the lights touching the water? just whatever it is might as well figure it out before you deconstruct the tank and rebuild it just for it to keep "stinging"... if you have a multimeter you can check the water with that too.

IKnowNothing

BGKFan said:
maybe... do you have anything else electrical in the tank? Internal filter power head... idk are the lights touching the water? just whatever it is might as well figure it out before you deconstruct the tank and rebuild it just for it to keep "stinging"... if you have a multimeter you can check the water with that too.
Nothing that I know of. The bubbeler can't carry electricity so I don't know.

BGKFan

k then, remove all the water and do a wash with the white vinegar the earliest you can, and we'll go from there I guess.

Jupiter Jack

My water is also cloudy right now. No stinging tho. curious to see how this turns out, good Luck bro hope you get it sorted out.

Ohiotank

Jupiter Jack you may want to add tetra safe start to your tank and read up about the nitrogen cycle

Tennesseecowboy

I have absolutely no idea what this could be, but i'm very interested as to what you find out. And if it was something chemical wouldn't it show up on the test kit somewhere?

BGKFan

not unless you tested for it specifically. Like if you poured bleach in the tank you wouldnt see it on your ammonia kit. no idea what chemical would physically be stinging him and yet his fish some how survived... but .. well see lol

IKnowNothing

Would removing and washing the gravel remove all the bacteria in the tank, or is most of it in the filter.

jdhef

Most should be in the filter

IKnowNothing

Ok did a 100% water change. My entire cherry barb group has died except for one lucky survivor and the three hardy guppies I have. Male guppie is not looking great. I believe it was the API that killed the fish.

BGKFan

API what? stresscoat? or the regular water conditioner... Ive used both with absolutely no ill effects. especially no stinging... Id suspect something else.

IKnowNothing

BGKFan said:
API what? stresscoat? or the regular water conditioner... Ive used both with absolutely no ill effects. especially no stinging... Id suspect something else.
Water conditioner. I believe I overdosed. It might be something else, but my test kit says everythings normal.

BGKFan

I have some of the regular water conditioner(api) and I don't even measure it as long a it's at least 5 drops worth I'm good to go...now...if you poured the whole bottle in you might have issues

IKnowNothing

BGKFan said:
I have some of the regular water conditioner(api) and I don't even measure it as long a it's at least 5 drops worth I'm good to go...now...if you poured the whole bottle in you might have issues
Maybe. I honestly have no clue. Probably going to find a home for my Cherry Barb and make my tank a guppie tank.

BGKFan

lol .. maybe you did pour the whole bottle in? Either way how is the t ank now that you cleaned it.. any more stinging or whatever?

IKnowNothing

BGKFan said:
lol .. maybe you did pour the whole bottle in? Either way how is the t ank now that you cleaned it.. any more stinging or whatever?
I honestly have no clue. Went to the LPS to pick up food and they had no clue. My tanks wonderfully clear now, no stinging. Plants have partially died out and are now blocking my filter. Otherwise all good. Going to let the tank develop for a few weeks then get a male guppie.

BGKFan

you definitely had some sort of ...weird chemical in the tank then I would imagine... One of the things ive heard about is you know that (idk what its called) antI bug spray that people spray the perimeter of the room with. well if your air pump is sitting on the carpet(or whatever) it can very easily pull that chemical into the aquarium... just thoughts.

IKnowNothing

BGKFan said:
you definitely had some sort of ...weird chemical in the tank then I would imagine... One of the things ive heard about is you know that (idk what its called) antI bug spray that people spray the perimeter of the room with. well if your air pump is sitting on the carpet(or whatever) it can very easily pull that chemical into the aquarium... just thoughts.
It's winter so no bug spray lol! My bubbeler is on a shelf type thing. I'll try cleaning that though.

BGKFan

have you ever cleaned the shelf with a harsh chemical? At this point its a guessing game just so you don't have to experience this again, cause at some point id like to know what the heck happened LOL! especially since it was physically...stinging.. you... just weird

alink

I'm wondering if it was a chemical sting or an electrical sting.. have you even taken a battery and connected both ends with a paper clip? Was it that kind of a sting? Or more of a burning sting like you would get from something acidic? Or was it like a bee sting?

BGKFan

^that's what I thought at first too but he unplugged his heater and it still did it... and now.. with everything still on that was on before its not stinging anymore... so ive got to assume it was chemical.... or biological... are there any bacterias / parasites... that make the water sting you!? idk lol its just a crazy thing to happen

IKnowNothing

BGKFan said:
have you ever cleaned the shelf with a harsh chemical? At this point its a guessing game just so you don't have to experience this again, cause at some point id like to know what the heck happened LOL! especially since it was physically...stinging.. you... just weird
I actually just bought it for my tank. Unless the manufactures put something on it...

IKnowNothing

alink said:
I'm wondering if it was a chemical sting or an electrical sting.. have you even taken a battery and connected both ends with a paper clip? Was it that kind of a sting? Or more of a burning sting like you would get from something acidic? Or was it like a bee sting?
It was more acidic, I checked all electrical stuff in my tank (unpluged it all), and it was definitely chemical. I'll also remind you guys it was only very noticeable on the abrasion I had on my hand.

BGKFan

Yes and you don't have any salt in the tank right?

IKnowNothing

BGKFan said:
Nope.

alink

Well if its not electrical then I would guess salt or ammonia in the water. If neither of those are present then I have no idea.

BGKFan

alink said:
Well if its not electrical then I would guess salt or ammonia in the water. If neither of those are present then I have no idea.
what I'm saying... its quite the puzzler LOL

IKnowNothing

BGKFan said:
Correct

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom