need help cleaning sand

1. jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member

just wondring what the most efficiant way to clean new sand substrate before placing in a tank. i could use a gravel vac but i think it would take a while. plus i would hve to keep refilling the container, then vac, then refill, then vac, and so on.

2. crazedACD Member Member

Put the sand in a bucket, only fill it part way, then put it under the spout in your tub or use the hose outside...fill it, swirl it around, and dump the water. Repeat until clean!

3. jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member

okay, that sounds good but i have like 3-4 gallons of sand, should i clean one half , then clean the other half. mabey a little at a time so its not so hard to swirl

4. erk419 Member Member

When I cleaned my sand I used a bif popcorn bowl it will take awhile to clean but eventually it will get there. Do what ever amount is easy enough for you to move around in the bucket your are using

5. Weedcali Initiate Member

Exactly this.

6. Slug Well Known Member Member

I use a pillow case and get the dust off of it that way. Just strain the water through the sand in a pillowcase. Then get all of the larger stuff out through a bucket and water or during your first water change.

7. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

I use a hose and bucket...press the hose to the bottom...adjust water pressure to clean it with no sand/gravel overflowing....swirl it by hand now and then and repeat. Continue until the water is clear.

8. jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member