Need help building stand canopy for aquarium

paswed
with the help of magipie. I have built a nice stand but I need some help I was on another web site and seen this hood I really like it and would like to have one the problem is I do not know how he made it. I was wondering if anyone has seen some kind of plans or direction for anything like this cause if I had a plan I could make it

I did not build this canpoy but need help in build it or see how to build it thanks

Sanders_BALR
That is a amazing stand. I am currently thinking of tryin my hand at building a stand. I just do not know where to start. I was thinking of building it out of construction lumber and then trying to finish the outside so it is presentable.
(like wrap it in stained pine panels)....but that one almost looks like construction lumber.....

paswed
here is the stand I built. I think that canpoy would look good with the stand I built.I just got to find out how he did it lol

sirdarksol
It actually looks fairly straightforward. The lighting gets put on the hinged part of the canopy, rather than the static part. Check out the DIY section. There's a post there on building a simple lighted canopy. Make a few changes (connect the front panel to the hinged panel, include a frame around the front) to make it as complex as you want, and you'll have a canopy like that.
Come to think of it, that does look like a pretty snappy canopy. Maybe I can modify it to hold my minI refugium. I'm going to have to look into this.

Sanders_BALR
I feel silly. I thought the first set of pictures were a stand.I'm its a HUGE canopy. I was wondering why a stand would hinge on the top surface. lol. If it were a stand, I kinda like the fact its low to the ground.

Your actual stand looks nice too. The pictures are pretty blurry, but I can still tell its a nice one!

paswed
I got a digital camera for Christmas and I am learning to use the camera hope to get better soon so I can post better picture

outlaw
Looks like a frame then a nice ply wood over it where needed.

BLACK- Frame
RED- Guessing (couldn't tell)
GREEN- Support for sitting on tank?
TEAL- Hinges/latch to keep door closed.

175.jpg

Good Luck! Stand looks really nice too BTW!

paswed
a frame made 0f 2x4 do you think

ok I think I am going to use 2x4 and 1.3 I think that is what he used

Sanders_BALR
That's what I thought. It looks like 2x4s and plywood. sanded. What do you mean 1.3?

outlaw

It doesn't look like 2x4's for the whole thing. Maybe where it is angled, I could see that being 1 2x4 with the proper cuts in it.

What about 2x2's? You could probably do the whole frame in 2x4's but it may create extra unneeded weight.

**update**
Looking at the stained picture more(has more definition and shadowing) it looks like 2x2's to me.

Sanders_BALR
after a closer look, I think I agree. Honestly, you could probably get away with 1x1s. I bet that is one HEAVY canopy! The only problem with 1x1's is you'll have a better chance of spliting the wood, unless you drill pilot holes. I would lighten it up a bit though.

paswed
ok I think I am going to use 2x4 and 1.3 I think that is what he used

SORRY MEANT 1X3

so I guess I will use 2x2 .How tall do think it is. I guess what I am saying is how tall do you think I should make it my stand is 36h x 74 1/2 l x 20 w
if you come up with some more thought let me know

outlaw
guessing based off the shelving in the back with the coolant(?) bottle. I am going to say a good 2'...give or take obviously. The choice for the height would really be up to you at this point since you are just building off a picture and not really a spec sheet. If it seems to tall, just shorten, and remember to adjust all corresponding pieces. If you think it will look better taller, go for it. If you do make it tall, you could try to put a shelf in there for a little more storage for your smaller items like chemicals and dry fish food...etc. I know it would be nice to have that here with my 2 daughters around. Just another thought though. Good luck and can't wait for the pics.

Sanders_BALR
This is a complete guess, but it looks like maybe 18-20 inches? What do you think? I think it looks big. almost too big. I dunno though. what size tank is it?

paswed
keep the thoughts coming this is why I post this cause know I need help and it does look heavy

outlaw
It's for her 120Gal in .

If I were to build something like that, I think I would go with something a little shorter just to keep it from looking to obnoxious. Just me though. I would still try to have a shelf though for a decent sized bottle of conditioner or the like. The height and style would totally be up to you though. I would definitely say, go with the same doors on the top as the bottom and it should look good whatever the height you choose.

paswed
my tank is a 120 gallon

outlaw
Is that a different tank then from the one in that post for the stand? I am sorry for assuming..

Sanders_BALR
Yeah I thought it was big. So is a 150 the same length as a 120? 6 ft. right?

paswed
no 120 sorry dog hit wrong key

Sanders_BALR
You must have a small dog...If its on the desk. my 120lb Choc lab has his head on my foot and its falling asleep (my foot) ol' Roscoe is already asleep. lol. ANYWAY. back to the hood. lol

paswed
the guy I brought it from says it is 120 but when I measure it , it measure for a 150 so I am really not sure if it is a 120 or 150 for 200.00 I it does not matter. I have a dashound chewy he is the project sup. keeps everything on task lol or so he think

it is the same length for both

Sanders_BALR
ok. That's what I thought. I still think the one in the picture looks like it is about 18-20 inches tall. I agree with outlaw, it needs to be practical but yet not obnoxiously tall.

paswed
I agree to that is why I ask for advice it is so big over prower rest of tank and stand to me

outlaw
What about something like this? No lengths are accounted for or is anything portioned correctly.

176.jpg

Sanders_BALR
yeah, I agree. I don't mean to abandon ya, but I need to hit the sack. Its late. Good luck with the hood. Cant wait to see pictures. Hope it works out for ya.

paswed
I understand I was sleep but was dreaming of hood thanks for help if you think of thing else just post want start till friday

yes look good, that is good I am not good at that but I have made up my mind after this I am learning cad and how to draw up plans. so how would I frame it

Outlaw is it snowing where you are at I want snow so bad have not had much so far here

outlaw
Last post before I go to bed. lol, need to be to work BY 8am. lol Yes, it was snowing, by the time it's done I think were suppose to have about 10"...grrr lol

I am just using paint. lol I would have to check one of my computer forums, but I think it's called "sketchup" or something like that. It is free and can be used to design things.

I used CAD in high school. It was really nice. I have a "home builder" software I could probably use to make it also. I'll have to play around with it tomorrow though.

Gnight.

MagpieTear
Sorry I haven't chimed in earlier, Just too much going on the last few days to spare much time. It should be relatively simple if you're starting with straight stock so the top fits the tank cleanly and your hinged joint is tight. Where the lights are going to attach, go with 1/2" ply minimum so there's something to hold the fasteners. Also, if the lights are going to go into the movable part of the top, I would recommend a piano hinge versus cabinet door hinges. Just a little extra strength to support the weight of lights/ballasts, etc. I presume the flip up portion has two doors that would open for feeding, but for maintenance and bulb changes you'll flip up the canopy itself, correct? How much lighting going in there (I can't remember for sure, but I think you have a saltwater rig) Def. want some venting... is this going against a wall, or free standing? Don't want goofy shadows coming out of the venting.

sirdarksol
The piano hinge will also keep the cords from getting pinched.
Hadn't thought about adding the doors, but they're an awesome idea.
Geeze, this idea is just taking off.

paswed
Sorry I haven't chimed in earlier, Just too much going on the last few days to spare much time. It should be relatively simple if you're starting with straight stock so the top fits the tank cleanly and your hinged joint is tight. Where the lights are going to attach, go with 1/2" ply minimum so there's something to hold the fasteners. Also, if the lights are going to go into the movable part of the top, I would recommend a piano hinge versus cabinet door hinges. Just a little extra strength to support the weight of lights/ballasts, etc. I presume the flip up portion has two doors that would open for feeding, but for maintenance and bulb changes you'll flip up the canopy itself, correct? How much lighting going in there (I can't remember for sure, but I think you have a saltwater rig) Def. want some venting... is this going against a wall, or free standing? Don't want goofy shadows coming out of the venting.

That is ok, are you busy build your new stand
1. I have a saltwater tank
2. the flip up part does have two doors that open up for feeding and for maintance it does flip up
3. it is going in front of the wall, the stand and tank sit in up against a wall in the living room
and I had not even thought about the fans for venting

here are some more pictures I found of this thing I guess the side doors need to open to since their needs to be fans put in to make the light cool

MagpieTear
That is ok, are you busy build your new stand
I wish... Trying to get everything ready for tax time, and side jobs to scare up some extra cash for a new roof this spring.

paswed
Looks like a frame then a nice ply wood over it where needed.

BLACK- Frame
RED- Guessing (couldn't tell)

175.jpg

Good Luck! Stand looks really nice too BTW!

I can not figure out what the one you have the green line on is for either post picutre from back maybe er can now

we have to build new car garage cause old one is falling apart and have to redo all of water pipes in basement. I have been doing a bunch of side job myshelf to pay for stuff for fish tank.I have been taking on a lot of new clients so I can have the money in the summer to build garage

outlaw
For using fans...(if you don't have the experience). I would personally go with a 120mm on either side or maybe on the top too... it will move a little more air and be quieter then a 60mm or 80mm that moves the same amount of air.

you could do the fans on either side of the lights to produce a circulation across the lights (inlet one side, exhaust the other). Then put some vent holes or slots across the top to help any evaporation that doesn't exit the exhaust. Would help the wood last longer too in the long run I would think... There is my 2cents on the fans

paswed
This is the first time I will be doing this. I mean making my own lights or hood for that matter. I like that idea for sure can some one tell me where the best place is to get the stuff to do the lights in the hood

also outlaw did you see the question I post about the green line

Magpie good luck with the taxes we just did ours today what a headache thank god for money. money tracks all the exspense for me and then puts all the deduction in the forms for me all I have to do is put in his wages and it does all the rest for me

outlaw
Yes I did. Unfortunately I am at work and the proxy blocks me from viewing any pictures from most hosting companies. I will try tonight.

For the lighting, I think you are pretty wide open as what to use. Depends on if you want bulbs to stretch the tank or dual like they show in the picture. You could probably use your standard fixture...might have to remove the cover to mount it to the hood, but should be able to attach the light back to the cover and go from there. If others think that would get to hot, you could put some "plumbing" in to expel the heat directly out of the hood and same with the inlet...Just trying to think of a less costly way since from what I remember, Saltwater lighting isn't cheap.

paswed
Yes I did. Unfortunately I am at work and the proxy blocks me from viewing any pictures from most hosting companies. I will try tonight.

For the lighting, I think you are pretty wide open as what to use. Depends on if you want bulbs to stretch the tank or dual like they show in the picture. You could probably use your standard fixture...might have to remove the cover to mount it to the hood, but should be able to attach the light back to the cover and go from there. If others think that would get to hot, you could put some "plumbing" in to expel the heat directly out of the hood and same with the inlet...Just trying to think of a less costly way since from what I remember, Saltwater lighting isn't cheap.

amen to not being cheap

outlaw
lol, what kind of light do you have now? Would it be possible to mount it to the hood like I was thinking would be possible? Does it have fans on it, if so, where?

paswed
I don't have any lights at all right now

outlaw
well then... lol I am not going to recommend any lights, because I don't know what kind you would need for your setup you have or are planning to have, and if I did I still wouldn't know what to recommend. Anybody know what to recommend?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
cwa
  • Question
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
Replies
Views
Dave125g
Replies