Need help ASAP, suffering Gourami :(

1. Gen120

Gen120 Valued Member Member

I have a 20 gallon tank with 6 platy's and 1 Dwarf blue Gourami. I noticed that he wasn't acting right the other day, I watched him. Nothing has changed, I clean the tank regularly and change the filters etc. I use a Aquaclear 20 (supposed to be the best filter). I have this decoration- http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752248. There is a lip on the inside of the ornament and Luna somehow got stuck in the lip of it, Saturday night. He likes to sleep in there, that's his favorite spot to go at night- so Saturday morning I wake up and look at my fish tank, don't see Luna, get my flashlight and shine it in the barrel. Still don't see him.. get worried so I stick my hand in the tank, pick the ornament up and see only his tail sticking out..:(. Somehow he got stuck like that that night.. after I went to bed... I'm not sure how long he was in there.. he was pretty weak, I very carefully got him out and had my sister help me... and afterwards he couldn't swim. I moved him carefully to the fry tank on the side of my exsiting tank (that was empty) so he could try to recover, but he's not going to, he has some external injuries (some missing scales) and maybe some internal injuries from thrashing). Well, he's still alive but can't swim at all, and keeps flopping.. I don't want him to suffer at all. but he already is I think.. it breaks my heart to see him like that.. I read on the internet that Clove oil is how you can put him to sleep, you sorta overdose them on it? But I don't know if that's true/works? I don't want to flush him (that's very cruel IMO) and I don't want to kill him in a bad way but I don't want to see him continuing to suffer.. any ideas?

2. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

3. TayJay76

TayJay76 Valued Member Member

I'm very sorry to hear about your fish, that sucks.:( The clove oil does work or you can put him in a baggy with the tank water in it, put the baggy with him in it in the freezer and the temp in the bag will slowly decrease, eventually stopping his heart. Both are very humane ways to euthanize him.

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I euthanize fish when I think there's no hope. If you don't want to use the clove oil (which most people suggest) there are various ways to do it - some are more "brutal" (and faster) than others, but those methods are very effective and humane if you can get past the act. You can use an ice bath - get a cup of ice water, wait till it's really cold and then put the fish in. It's over in seconds. You can also use boiling water the same way.

5. OP
    OP
    Gen120

thank you guys for the help.. I prayed that he would die in the night and thankfully he did.. :(.. It's sad but I'm happy that he's no longer suffering. Thank you for the advice and I will be sure to keep this stuff in mind if it ever happens again (hopefully not).

6. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry for your loss.

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

There's nothing sad about compassion.

8. OP
    OP
    Gen120

very true! I am glad there are many other compassionate people that understand.