Need Help Asap- Ich Infestation In My 75 Gal!!!

1. wapooshe

wapooshe Valued Member Member

First time dealing with ich.
    So I just bought 12 cardinal tetras and placed them in my tank last night. Today I realized most of them had ich! It's my fault for not taking a closer look before buying... Anyways I don't think its possible to remove the ich cardinals as they are together with 8 healthy cardinals so I have school of 20 and catching the ich ones seems very difficult. Can someone please help me cure the ich in the tank with the rest of my fish still inside? If I need to buy something I would have to go tomorrow, do you guys think If I treat tomorrow I can still save my fish? Thanks for your help!

Tank info:
    Ammonia:0
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate:20
    PH: 7.4
    Temp: 81F

Stocking:
    4 dwarf gourami
    2 GBR
    2 Angelfish
    20 cardinal tetras

2. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

For now turn up the heat to 86 degrees. That will kill ich. Can you post pictures to see how bad it is?

3. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

There are 2 ways to treat ich. One is the heat method. Slowly raise the tank temp to 86 degrees over several hours. Initially you will see a bigger infestation for the first 4 days, then you will notice there will be less and less spots. Leave the temp at 86 for 14 days after you see the last spot. You may need to increase the temp to 88 or 90 if it doesn't seem to be working at 86, after day 4. Sometimes it is stubborn and you need to go up a degree or two.

Second way to treat is just by getting an ich med from the pet store. They tend to be really effective. Just follow the instructions. Because the fish weren't quarantined, you will need to treat the whole tank. Ich can be really contagious.

The one thing you will need to do is tons and tons of cleaning/vacuuming the tank. The little ich cysts will fall off into the decorations and substrate. If you don't vacuum them up, you risk reinfestation. You will need to vacuum every day or every other day to keep on top of it.

Hope this helps.

4. L

LibertyLover90 New Member Member

I agree, turn the temperature up to 86. Warmer temperatures speeds up the life cycle of ich.

5. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

sure the cardinals are kind of small and swim away so it might not be visible but I'll try my best.

also do i need to use aquarium salt during the heat rise process?

6. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Also make sure to add an air stone or something since the warmer water will have less dissolved oxygen.

7. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Just as a heads up turn the heat up slowly to 86 degrees to not shock the fish and do it for two weeks to kill ich. You will also need to vacuum the substrate really well, since itch falls off and goes into the substrate. Salt is not necessary.

8. Kellye8498

You can but don't really need to. Just the heat, extra oxygen and a LOT of gravel vacuuming. I changed 10% of the water daily to make sure the gravel was clean for 14 days. When I was done everyone was safe and alive and no more instances of ich. Make sure you quarantine all new fish for a minimum of 2-3 weeks prior to adding to your main tank to prevent this happening again and all should be good!

9. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

Here are a few random pics

I have a HOB that produces quite a lot of bubbles do you think I'll be fine or do you still recommend an air stone? Also daily gravel cleaning won't be a problem for me but may I ask why waste in gravel may slow down or hinder the ich treatment?

Attached Files:

10. Kellye8498

Still add an air stone. You will be amazed how much less oxygen is in the water when you raise the temps. It's just for the safety of the fish so they can breathe during the treatment.

It's not the waste in the gravel that slows down treatment. It's that the ich parasites fall off the fish as their lifecycle changes and they fall into the gravel. At that point they need to be removed before the become free swimming and attach to a new fish or even the same fish again. The more you vacuum out, the less there are to attack your fish while the heat is killing them in another stage. You're just covering all of the lifecycle stages to make sure none can survive.

11. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

what method do you recommend? I heard that meds can be potentially harmful in the long run, but if they really aren't and are more effective I'll probably buy medicine. Could I do both the temp rise and meds together?

12. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Salt Is not necessary.
    This is not a bad case of ich I would just go with heat.

13. AllieSten

Don't do both. It can be dangerous for your fish to do both at once. So it is one or the other.

All medications can have long term side effects, it is just the nature of medications. Your fish are sick, so you do need some sort of treatment. Both treatments are equally effective. So it is really personal choice.

14. IRTehDar

IRTehDar Valued Member Member

86 degrees wont actually kill ich. It stops them from breeding thus causing the whole population to die out from old age within 3 weeks. For most fish this is just a "tropical holiday" but for ich its "extermination level neutering".
    Its the same reason we humans get a fever as a first response to most infections.

15. AllieSten

Regardless of how it works, 86 degrees does indeed work to get rid of ich. I always suggest starting at 86 and working up to 88 or 90. Ich's life cycle is relatively short anyways. Some people prefer this method versus medications. It is an effective treatment. And in the end, the ich parasites are indeed dead.

16. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Be aware there is a resistant strain of Ich in cardinals. And that you ha e at least 1 neon in the group.

17. AllieSten

There is? How would you treat that? Is there anything you can do for the resistant ich?

18. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

What do you mean buy 1 neon in the group?

19. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Noooo I don't know if you noticed, but you've at least two neons swimming in your cardinalschool.

Only thing is that some meds won't work.
    Heathttreatment will.

20. AllieSten

Good to know. Thanks for the info!