Need help aquascaping

tuggerlake26

So I moved my main display tank in May. Sunset then, my plants have been doing really well, but my aquascaping looks terrible. It's definitely overgrown. I also made the mistake of mixing dark fluval substrate with lighter gravel. I had originally made them as layers to help prevent any cycle, but now they are mixing together and it looks bad.

I bought two pieces of wood that are branching. I'm thinking of replacing my current wood with them.

My idea is:

• Remove the lighter substrate and add in more fluval
  • Place a branching piece of driftwood towards the back right corner, so the branches come out to the front and middle.
  • Take out the swordplant.
  • Take out one of the lillies.
  • Grow out the cabomba in the back corner.
  • Add dwarf hairgrass in the front and the entire left side.
  • Add some moss on the driftwood.
  • Overall trim plants better.

Any other advice?

AggressiveAquatics

I think it looks cool

Pfrozen

Bruh you are too critical of your own work. Your tanks are beautiful lol. That wood is perfect and the plants are placed in perfect spots already. I personally wouldn't dare touch a thing but if you really want something different then some dragonstone might look good in there with the substrate you already have

tuggerlake26

When you begin re-scaping and immediately regret getting yourself into the process.

More pics to follow.

CTYankee79

Honestly, i liked your tank too, but your new ideas sound good as well. What size tank, are you running CO2?

tuggerlake26

Re-scaping is complete! I added quite a few different foreground plants. Will see what one takes off. I already know a few of the plants I'll need to trim by next weekend.

CTYankee79 said:
Honestly, i liked your tank too, but your new ideas sound good as well. What size tank, are you running CO2?
The tank is 40 gallons. I run yeast co2, but just bought an Aquario Neo co2 kit. I'm going to see how that does. Getting "real" co2 seemed to just be a bit difficult with the pandemic after calling around at a few breweries and beverage companies nearby.

StarGirl

Looks good to me! It looked good before too. I do understand getting bored with looking at something for so long. My 55g is harder to do so I think thats why every time I change water in the 5g something gets moved around.

Basil

Well I loved it before but your new scape is definitely stunning!

CTYankee79

Looks great!

tuggerlake26

Thanks everyone!

I woke up today looking out even more.m, with the new plants having perked up. I'll post updates once the groundcover fills in.

tuggerlake26

Wow, major typo above. Meant to say liking it even more.

A week has passed, and the bunch plants have started growing. The ludwigia is looking great! It's starting to get its red color.

The foreground plants haven't started growing. I added a second yeast co2 bottle and will see if that helps. My lights are pretty strong but if that doesn't work I'll look into replacing one of my Finnex strips that are a few years old.

FisHobbyist

Great set up man! I would agree that your plants looked great from the start but can understand when it get's overgrown and you have to look at new ways to re-scape just because that's part of the hobby. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out with the new growth.

tuggerlake26

Well, I'm an idiot.

Last night I shook up my CO2 bottle a bit too much. I woke up this morning and noticed the tank was cloudy. Turns out it was leaking way too much CO2 into the water. My fish were at the top of the tank gasping for air. My algae eater was dead.

I quickly set up an air pump and did a water change. They seem to be doing better, but we will see how things turn out by this afternoon.

StarGirl

tuggerlake26 said:
Well, I'm an idiot.

Last night I shook up my CO2 bottle a bit too much. I woke up this morning and noticed the tank was cloudy. Turns out it was leaking way too much CO2 into the water. My fish were at the top of the tank gasping for air. My algae eater was dead.

I quickly set up an air pump and did a water change. They seem to be doing better, but we will see how things turn out by this afternoon.
Reason #25 why I will stick with low tech....Sorry about your losses.

tuggerlake26

StarGirl said:
Reason #25 why I will stick with low tech....Sorry about your losses.
Thanks! Luckily everyone else seems okay and life is back to normal for them.

tuggerlake26

Weekend update!

The tank is looking good. I did some trimming Friday, and intend to do more mid-week. The ludwigia looked a little rough after the co2 incident, but it's starting to grow back normally.

I'm still having issues with the groundcover growing, so I ordered another light that should add about 120 PAR vs one of mine that is letting out around 85. I'm hoping that helps.

tuggerlake26

Just finished a water change and trimming. My plants are turning very red! I still can't get the foreground to grow in. I may need to look into a few other options.

I'm going to try moving the filter intake next weekend so it is covered my some plants. It's very hard to miss now.

juscallmej

looks good

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom