Need guidance on canister filter selection

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by jprime84, Mar 15, 2010.

1. jprime84Valued MemberMember

My 38g planted tank has been running two Aquaclears since startup and that has been ok, but I do notice a lot of particles that make it through. Also, I wanted more water movement in the tank and added a powerhead. Unfortunately, the powerhead kept my water temps over 80 degrees, so I took it out.

I was thinking about a canister filter. Doesnt that provide some water flow? Recommendations?

2. Morgan111Well Known MemberMember

I've got a fluval fx5 and I'm extremely happy with it... so a smaller fluval should work nicely, or I hear the Eihiem filters are VERY nice as well.... I've never had problems with power heads raising my water temps...

3. jprime84Valued MemberMember

I thought it was strange for it to raise the temp, but I have the heater set to 76, so I dont know what else could be doing it.

4. Morgan111Well Known MemberMember

what kind of heater? the tempm settings on a lot of heaters are not super accurate and due to it getting warmer things could have changed a lil.... are you leaving you light on more?.... I'm going to be in your neck of the woods next week for work in smithfield... anything you know of to do there? good bars or restuaraunts?

5. jprime84Valued MemberMember

Lighting has had the same rotation for months now; they are timed. Its a Hagen brand heater, very new, not sure which model.

6. jglove276Valued MemberMember

I have a Rena XP3 on my 38gal and I love it. super quiet and water is crystal clear.

7. Morgan111Well Known MemberMember

does it have a indicator light to tell if it is running? not sure the cause but I've never had a powerhead do that so it may be bad as well.

8. jprime84Valued MemberMember

It does. I looked at it again, and appears to just keep it several degrees warmer than the numerical indicator. Thanks for the recomendations on filters.

9. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I also use the xp filters. great filters.

10. kcarmartinezValued MemberMember

My canister filter is a Penn Plax Cascade. I am happy with it so far though I have only had it a few months. What I really liked about it was the price. It is pretty quiet and has done a good job on my cichlid tank. If I had more money I would have gone for a higher end name brand, but I am happy with the Cascade though.

11. Morgan111Well Known MemberMember

Ive heard nothing but good things about these

12. outlawWell Known MemberMember

I have an Odyssea CFS4 on our 46G and have had no issues with it. Only problem is there doesn't seem to be a lot of info (lots of questions and semi-reviews) on them on the net. I got ours through a LFS for 60 about a yr ago.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice