Need Fix For Pest Snails

Spencer318

Valued Member
Reaction score
So back when I added frogbit to my tank there were some snails hidden in there that managed to make their way into the tank. Now i can't seem to get rid of them. I've got 3 yoyo loaches, and for a while that worked, but eventually they lost interest in eating snails. I don't want to use copper sulfate as i hear that does more harm than good. I ordered some chain link loaches hoping that will help, which I don't have them yet so we'll see. Is there anything else i could do to possibly get rid of the snails? Like if i were to get a couple assassin snails, would the yoyo's/chain link loaches attack/eat them?

Spencer318

Valued Member
Reaction score
They would indeed go after the assassin snails. I would say cut back on feeding them and they will regain interest.
Ok so assassin snails are out lol. I tried cutting back on the food but it hasn't seemed to reignite the yoyo's interest in the snails. I don't want to cut back too much because i still want the rest of the fish in my tank to eat lol.

Paper Spiders

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've always felt clueless on the 'pest snail' issue. Why are snails bad? My tank has lots of plants, and several snails. I've never tried to get rid of them.

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've always felt clueless on the 'pest snail' issue. Why are snails bad? My tank has lots of plants, and several snails. I've never tried to get rid of them.
I just cleaned my tank out that has been setup for 1 year and I pulled around 300 malaysian trumpet snails out and I still have another 50-100 babies to remove.

Paper Spiders

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just cleaned my tank out that has been setup for 1 year and I pulled around 300 malaysian trumpet snails out and I still have another 50-100 babies to remove.
Whoa!!! I don't have the trumpet snails, just pond snails and the mini ramshorns. I'll take note though...avoid Malaysian trumpet snails...

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have Zebra Loachs and Yo-Yo Loachs in 2 seperate tanks along with assassin snails, the loachs have left the snails alone for the most part. The assassin snails left a graveyard of pest snail shells.

Spencer318

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have Zebra Loachs and Yo-Yo Loachs in 2 seperate tanks along with assassin snails, the loachs have left the snails alone for the most part. The assassin snails left a graveyard of pest snail shells.
Well maybe I'll give it a try then.

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well maybe I'll give it a try then.
Check this out for ramshorn snails they are pretty easy to get rid of just keep doing this over and over. Also you will have eggs hatch so you will need to repeat it several times until the issue is fixed.

But the quick way to remove snails is replace the substrate, scrub the tank down and anything in the tank and make sure all of the eggs is cleaned off. You can also boil the substrate if you want to keep it but you have to remove the dead snails after this will also kill any bacteria so much sure you have a good cycled filter if you do it.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think predators are the only way to get rid of snails once you have them.

I struggled with snails for a year. I tried feeding less and making sure nothing went to waste, deeper cleaning, boiling the substrate (which caused a mini cycle), and Algafix which kills inverts. A few always survived and bred. They'll live in the filter and their tiny eggs are easy to miss.

I got pea puffers and put them in my tank. Within 3 days, every snail was gone. I mean every single one. Not one left. They bit my other fish's tails so I moved them to their own tank. But they completely decimated the snail population in just a few days. They led me to get a spotted congo puffer. So I actually have a tank dedicated to breeding snails now and miss the days I had tons growing in my tanks... Lol

Assassin snails and puffers are what I know takes them out! So probably assassin snails. Most species of puffers need species only tanks. But if you did this, you could just pick the snails out of your other tank for food.

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had a pest snail problem and I just used tongs to remove them manually. I would pick out a few every day and, over time, I got them all. Nobody really considers this as a real option, but I think it beats buying assassin snails, puffers, or other inhabitants that might turn out to be a hassle. Just my two cents. I did this with a 20 gallon though, and could see it being more of an issue if you have like a 55+ gallon. What size tank do you have?

Axemaniac88

Reaction score
I had a chronic problem with pest snails in my tank to the point where I could see 100+ on the front glass of the tank alone. Tried to cull them by removing them myself but they eventually repopulated and ended up with just as many in a short space of time. I got a few assassin snails in and they definitely helped after a few weeks. They'll not get rid of the problem completely but in my tank, they do at least help control the population of pest snails.

Also my friend uses some of them as food for his puffer so anytime he's round at mine, I encourage him to take a few dozen!

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had a pest snail problem and I just used tongs to remove them manually. I would pick out a few every day and, over time, I got them all. Nobody really considers this as a real option, but I think it beats buying assassin snails, puffers, or other inhabitants that might turn out to be a hassle. Just my two cents. I did this with a 20 gallon though, and could see it being more of an issue if you have like a 55+ gallon. What size tank do you have?
I agree with you. Don't get puffers or loaches unless you actually want them as a pet. You can't just use them to clear the problem, because after the problem is gone, you'll need just be buying or growing snails to feed them.

For example, if you get puffers, you have to actually want to have them long term. They're a high maintenance fish because they need their own tank, only eat snails and frozen food, require you to play with them to mentally stimulate them, etc. That said, they're the most rewarding fish you can keep. They're endearing, friendly, and super cute. So if you want some amazing fish, your snail problem will be taken care of.

Other than that, the best option is to manually remove them with snail traps.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah i've got mini ramshorn snails and at any point i can count like 20+.
I squish them as I see them and feed them to my fish. My gold pearlscale angelfish always comes bolting over when she sees my fingers pressing on the glass. Free fresh protein and it keeps the numbers down. I actually dont mind them too much or care to get rid of them. Thought about adding assassins....thought the mini ramshorns were too small for the assassin to fit his tongue thing into, but yesterday I saw and image of an assassin eating a tiny mini ramshorn, so I guess it's possible.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feel like I'm the only one that just leaves snails be.
Honestly I usually do, I have tanks with snails and some with only assassins. I used to sell plants and ppl want snail-free plants. I actually like to feed my fish the snails more than I want snails if that makes sense in my main tanks.

Also 2 or 3 years ago, I had a bad MTS problem in a 33g tank with two angelfish. So many babies that loved to ride the water surface and whirlpool in the current. One day after feeding, I turned around and one of my healthy angels was choking I didn't know what was happening at the time and by the time I did, well.....

So somehow even though I didn't overfeed, the MTS population got stupid out of hand and I had to do something. Two assassins decimated the while MTS colony in no time, then I had none. I still have them in my 5.5g fishless tank and 20g with gold tetras.

Spencer318

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've got a 60 gallon tank. I tried the picking them out 1 by 1 for a good long while. Then i cleaned out my filter (FX4) and saw that there was like 100+ in there. Still they persist lol.

I agree with you. Don't get puffers or loaches unless you actually want them as a pet. You can't just use them to clear the problem, because after the problem is gone, you'll need just be buying or growing snails to feed them.

For example, if you get puffers, you have to actually want to have them long term. They're a high maintenance fish because they need their own tank, only eat snails and frozen food, require you to play with them to mentally stimulate them, etc. That said, they're the most rewarding fish you can keep. They're endearing, friendly, and super cute. So if you want some amazing fish, your snail problem will be taken care of.

Other than that, the best option is to manually remove them with snail traps.
I agree about the keeping as pets. Whenever i call my LFS they say "Oh the loach guy!" lol because i have kuhli's, yoyo's and pretty soon a couple of chain links. The little barbels just hit me in the feels, and i love the larger/stronger look the yoyo's have. Anyway yeah I'll probably throw 2 assassin snails in there, as disinterested as my yoyo's are in snails now, I'm pretty sure they won't be bothered. As long as the assassin's keep the the snail pop under control I'll be happy. When my fiance and I buy a house i plan on upgrading from my 60gal to a 125 and the only thing's I'll be bringing over are the fish, light, bubbler, heater, and my filter. Plants, substrate, and decor will all be fresh.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Leave a large piece of blanched zuchinni in the tank for a few days ( but not till it rots and fouls the tank ) I elastic band mine to a little soy sauce dish... the snails will cluster to eat it and you can take the whole thing out and dispose of them as you wish. I put them in my loach tank as a periodical treat. This happens with my shrimp tank all the time it's an excellent way to keep them under control. Personally I don't mind ramshorns as they eat algae as well. If you overfeed you will have more.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good idea^ My LFS guy told me to place something enticing under a plate leaning slightly so snails can crawl under and collect in the morning. I guess the fish don't pick at this way.

*Although, he told me to use meat. I said what do you mean by meat? He said "like ham or something. They like to eat the stuff on meat". Never heard of a snail eating meat except assassins, but hey!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom