Need Fish to Eat Baby Guppies

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I've been building up an absurd amount of guppys, and at the moment I don't have anything that will eat the throwbacks. I really don't want to cull them but I'm also running out of room. I am trying to make space for another breeding project.

So, I was tossing the idea around of getting something that will actually make use of the feeders.

The only requirements I really have are that I want something that doesn't grow to be huge, and can fit properly in a 40 gallon, preferably in a pair or small group rather than solo, since I can't wrap my head around having a tank with a solitary fish in it. Smaller the better, it would be ideal to have something that would do well in a 20long or smaller.

The perfect scenario would be eventually to have a breeding pair of something that way I can justify more growout tank setups when they start to spawn! Any suggestions?

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
hehe! The reason I got my guppys was so I would have some feeder fry for my ACF. You can put 2 in a 20long (I am actually in the process of getting one and another ACF). Your full grown guppys might be too big, but any fry or juvie would be perfect.

Just my thoughts on the subject

Amano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Just a thought before suggesting fish. Are you able to sell the fry to a shop? Or are they still to small?

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A pair of convicts.

Amano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hehehehe that will solve all problems and also breeding pair.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My mom pop & store gives me a $1 credit for every male and femal I bring them.

As far as a suggestion I like the ACF idea, even though when I owned one he would only eat already dead fry.

Now I feed my deformed fry to my crawdad.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh, if you get a male and female ACF you could breed them too...taddys are fun!!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not really a frog person. Convicts are an idea. The LFS I use already said that they couldn't legally buy any fish, I don't know if they'd take any in trade but they always have several sizes and kinds of feeders available so I think they keep a stock going.

The only concern I have with convicts is that if I have a tank full of those one day and end up having to make them feeders for something else (lol), so I'm still looking for fish with some rarity to them.

Now that I'm thinking about it, one of my LFS has electric blue jack dempseys, although I think the 40 may be a bit small for one, let alone 2. I've never kept them before so I'm just going by the profile guide.

That would give me a good reason to put a 125 in future stocking plans though.....hmmm

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have heard 55 gallons can house either a single one with other fish or a breeding pair alone. I think 40 is too small. I looked into them (especially EBJD) when I got my 55 cause I really wanted some.

What about discus? I have heard they will eat most tank mates. Plus you can sell them for quite the pretty penny.

fraserm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah convicts all the way!!! Great fish!!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
discus would be nice, and eventually keeping them is a long term goal of mine. My PH is around the 6.4-6.6 level. It's hard to beat a large display tank with a group of discus in it.

At this point though I'm not ready to handle any discus. I didn't start this breeding trip till the past few months so I'm still relatively new to the entire process, and I want to get all the unforeseen issues and kinks worked out before I get heavily invested with something on that level.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jetajockey said:
I'm not really a frog person. Convicts are an idea. The LFS I use already said that they couldn't legally buy any fish, I don't know if they'd take any in trade but they always have several sizes and kinds of feeders available so I think they keep a stock going.

The only concern I have with convicts is that if I have a tank full of those one day and end up having to make them feeders for something else (lol), so I'm still looking for fish with some rarity to them.

Now that I'm thinking about it, one of my LFS has electric blue jack dempseys, although I think the 40 may be a bit small for one, let alone 2. I've never kept them before so I'm just going by the profile guide.

That would give me a good reason to put a 125 in future stocking plans though.....hmmm
40 is ok for one ebjd...not 2 tho
how about a pair of firemouths? pair of angels? although angels wont do well in the 20 gallon long....cons are great too and they will take care of their own fry if you dont cull them...they eat the prior spawns as they spawn again

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes, the cons are a great idea. By the way, what is an ACF?

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Elodea said:
Yes, the cons are a great idea. By the way, what is an ACF?
African Clawed Frog. And JettaJockey ended up going with and Electric Blue Jack Dempsey.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I sure did I just need him to grow faster so he can eat the big ones lol. He's already taken out some of the week old fry.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm glad he is doing his job!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads