Need Fish Ideas - Easy For 9 Gallon Tank And Where I Can Be Gone For A Week...

Maryanne007

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any ideas? Looking for hardy fish who don't need much maintenance. Is it possible to leave for up to a week without feeding (just 1 or 2x a year)? If not, would it be possible to have certain plants they could eat?

Many thanks!

Calwhovian

Reaction score
Many fish can live without food or a week, but the first one that comes to mind for me is a goldfish. They can survive for 2 weeks if kept in the right conditions, and can nibble on basically and live plant you put in the tank. Only thing about goldfish is the recommended size of the tank is 10 gallons, but I'm sure 9 will be fine if the water parameters are right, you do water changes every 3-4 weeks, and you have an air pump or some live plants for oxygen, and feed the fish with a healthy diverse diet.

Another fish that can survive a week is a betta, which is great because 9 gallons is perfect for a betta. You can also put some other small fish like chili rasboras or ember tetras. (but not too many) Tetras and rasboras might not make one week though, so you can buy an automatic feeder. Forgot to mention automatic feeders work for lots of fish

Maryanne007

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm confused. Are you trying to starve your fish by only feeding them 1 or 2 times a year?
Haha, no, I mean I will be away for a week at a time for 1 or 2x a year. I would otherwise be around to feed them every day maybe occasionally weekends away.

Maryanne007

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Many fish can live without food or a week, but the first one that comes to mind for me is a goldfish. They can survive for 2 weeks if kept in the right conditions, and can nibble on basically and live plant you put in the tank. Only thing about goldfish is the recommended size of the tank is 10 gallons, but I'm sure 9 will be fine if the water parameters are right, you do water changes every 3-4 weeks, and you have an air pump or some live plants for oxygen, and feed the fish with a healthy diverse diet.

Another fish that can survive a week is a betta, which is great because 9 gallons is perfect for a betta. You can also put some other small fish like chili rasboras or ember tetras. (but not too many) Tetras and rasboras might not make one week though, so you can buy an automatic feeder. Forgot to mention automatic feeders work for lots of fish
That's perfect! I was thinking about a betta and some smaller fish. Good to know about the automatic feeder! Thank you!

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All healthy aquariums fish can easily survive a week or with no food. except for fry. So I wouldn't stress too much of what can work, since in reality most fish can.... it's just finding a size appropriate fish for a 9 gallon that be the issue.

(Goldies would not be ideal, they grow large and even fancy varieties require 3x the size of a 9 gal to keep happy longterm.

Zka17

Valued Member
Reaction score
Only thing about goldfish is the recommended size of the tank is 10 gallons
Some people may not agree with this... that bro big, are messy and need a lot of filtration... too much filtration will create too high flow, which will stress the fish...

Betta is the right answer... feed it well 1 day before you leave, and do a water change on the day of leaving - will be fine for a week (but keep the filtration and heater on).

Maryanne007

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks all! Betta sounds like the way to go. Will look into rice fish too, can they co-exist? How about glofish?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom