Question Need Fish Choice Advice

dalton12

Reaction score
I’m using fish to cycle a 20 gal tank, the tank is cycling and I’m getting the fish in a couple hours. What fish would you recommend? I was thinking tiger barbs or danios

Kiks

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with imba, doing a fishless cycle is way less stressful for you and your fish.
Especially if you haven't kept fish for a long time or don't understand the cycle perfectly, cycling with fish mostly ends in disaster.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldnt do Tiger Barbs in a 20. They get way too big and are way too active. If you do, you can really only do a few and no other fish, period. And you'll probably have aggression issues with them as they really do better in large schools. Skip the TB's, it'll save you a ton of headache.

OP
dalton12

dalton12

Reaction score
Hello, what fish would you recommend to cycle a 20 gallon tank

Kiks

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would not recommend any fish to cycle a tank.
What I do recommend is that you buy some pure ammonia and use that as a source to cycle your tank instead.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
None. Itll be WAY less work to use ammonia to cycle the tank. If you HAVE to do a fish-in cycle it will take way more work and way longer to cycle due to constant water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites safe for your fish.

Do0kski

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you HAVE to cycle with fish then Zebra Danios. They are hardy fish. However, I'd hate to feel what that fish is feeling.....

OP
dalton12

dalton12

Reaction score
Do0kski said:
If you HAVE to cycle with fish then Zebra Danios. They are hardy fish. However, I'd hate to feel what that fish is feeling.....
After reading into it I decided I wasn’t going to use fish too cruel

guppgirl

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What exactly is the set up you're running currently? Filter? Heater? Plants?
I'd do a fishless cycle, fish in cycles are harder to control and super stressful if you don't know exactly what you're doing.
Yes, it takes more time to have fun and see fish swimming around, but you'll be happier with it in the long run.

New Threads