Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Need Fish Choice Advice Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by dalton12, Apr 21, 2019.

1. dalton12Valued MemberMember

I’m using fish to cycle a 20 gal tank, the tank is cycling and I’m getting the fish in a couple hours. What fish would you recommend? I was thinking tiger barbs or danios

2. imbaWell Known MemberMember

Why not do a fishless cycle? It will really save u alot of headache and hassle.

3. KiksWell Known MemberMember

I agree with imba, doing a fishless cycle is way less stressful for you and your fish.
    Especially if you haven't kept fish for a long time or don't understand the cycle perfectly, cycling with fish mostly ends in disaster.

4. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

I wouldnt do Tiger Barbs in a 20. They get way too big and are way too active. If you do, you can really only do a few and no other fish, period. And you'll probably have aggression issues with them as they really do better in large schools. Skip the TB's, it'll save you a ton of headache.

5. dalton12Valued MemberMember

Hello, what fish would you recommend to cycle a 20 gallon tank

6. KiksWell Known MemberMember

I would not recommend any fish to cycle a tank.
    What I do recommend is that you buy some pure ammonia and use that as a source to cycle your tank instead.

7. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

None. Itll be WAY less work to use ammonia to cycle the tank. If you HAVE to do a fish-in cycle it will take way more work and way longer to cycle due to constant water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites safe for your fish.

8. Do0kskiValued MemberMember

If you HAVE to cycle with fish then Zebra Danios. They are hardy fish. However, I'd hate to feel what that fish is feeling.....

9. dalton12Valued MemberMember

After reading into it I decided I wasn’t going to use fish[ ] too cruel

10. guppgirlValued MemberMember

What exactly is the set up you're running currently? Filter? Heater? Plants?
    I'd do a fishless cycle, fish in cycles are harder to control and super stressful if you don't know exactly what you're doing.
    Yes, it takes more time to have fun and see fish swimming around, but you'll be happier with it in the long run.