Need Expertly Help Please

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Andretti, Apr 17, 2019.

1. AndrettiNew MemberMember

Two weeks into my cycle (fish in) not seeing much of a difference is there anything else I can do besides dosing with prime? I’ve put in used media from my LFS a week ago but haven’t seen any difference yet (1st pic was two weeks ago 2nd pic is today) people keep telling my not to change water to continue dosing with prime but I feel like the ammonia is too high. Help?

upload_2019-4-17_10-47-33.jpeg

upload_2019-4-17_10-47-51.jpeg

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

You always want to do a partial water change when the ammonia is over 1PPM if you are doing a fish in cycle.

@mattgirl is a cycling whiz, she can help you better than I can.

3. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

Looks like the media they provided you had no bacteria on it to jump start your cycle and you are going to be doing it the hard way.

Prime does not eliminate the ammonia or nitrites, it only temporarily binds them into a safe form and only up to 1ppm. It is not helpful to use it as a bandaid, do daily water changes to keep the ammonia at relatively safe levels <1ppm. You should be able to move to every two days after a couple weeks, every three after 3 weeks... with cycle reached around 6 weeks, depending on your stocking levels.

4. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

If you have fish in there then yes, do a water change. You want to keep the ammonia as low as possible. Prime is a great product but fresh clean water with Prime added is much better. Please don't listen when you are told not to do water changes. The health of your fish is much more important than a completed cycle.

Since you added seeded media it is very possible that you will never see a nitrite spike so don't think something is wrong if you don't.

Just keep checking the levels for ammonia and nitrites. Eventually you will start seeing nitrates. It may take a while for it to happen but it will happen.

The cycle will happen as long as you never add untreated water if you have chlorine/chloramines in your source water and the water you add is close to the same as the water in the tank.

Your cycle (the bacteria you are growing) is fairly delicate right now. We can't see it but it is a living thing and needs to be protected. I don't know it for a fact but I feel water too cold or too hot can damage it and chlorine can kill it.

Always temp match and add Prime to the water before you pour it in the tank. Your fish will thrive and your bacteria will grow.

I would never allow the ammonia to get over .25. Keep it that low or even lower if possible. It might slow the cycling process down by a few days but again, the health of the fish is more important than completing a cycle.

5. DonthemonValued MemberMember