Need Dying One By One. Water Too Hard??

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by chrismd, Jul 20, 2019.

1. chrismd

chrismdNew MemberMember

Hi everyone

Really could use some guidance here. I’ve put 25cherry shrimp and 10 blue velvets in my aquarium over the last month. I’m having a slow die off over that period, maybe 3 per week.

I have absolutely no idea why, except MAYBE might be molting issues since I did once see a cherry shrimp with the “white ring of death”. I’m wondering if my water is just too hard for them. Unfortunately I like the knowhow to evaluate the carcasses to see if there was a molt issue involved there. Here are the parameters:

Temperature: 73
    pH: ~8
    Kh/gh: both about 18
    Nitrates/nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 20ppm

Thank you!

2. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Croeso welcome to fishlore chris
    Can you give us the parameters of your source water

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    chrismd

chrismdNew MemberMember

I must apologize as my numbers before were off memory, clearly faulty. I’ve retested everything, I’ll highlight we are on well water with an acid neutralizer (ph 5.5 before neutralizing), and the well water parameters are way off from when I last measured them which makes me question the state of the neutralizer system. So I’m questioning especially the oH reading for the source at the moment.

SOURCE:
    Ph - 7.4 (I’ve measured this many times at 8/8.2 so Something is up with the system)
    gH: 20
    kH: 12

TANK***
    pH: 7.8
    gH: 15
    kH: 11

***tank measurements are also different since I yesterday or the day before added some unneutralized water which took a bite out of pH and kH.

4. richie.p

If I'm reading things right are the big fluctuations in your water almost daily in your source water which you use for the tanks or are things constant, sorry for the questions just need to know whet we're playing with, when you say unneutralised water what is this exactly

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  5. OP
    OP
    chrismd

chrismdNew MemberMember

No worries, totally understand! I’ve begun researching acid neutralizing systems (they look like water softeners). Essentially to balance corrosion and limescale deposit, the harden the water with Mg/Ca carbonates and jack the ph make it harder. and I THINK it might be their nature over time to decline in pH and kH as acid eats away at the added carbonate. Same thing happens in a. Aquarium if you slowly add soft water to a hard water aquarium over time. kH/total alkalinity drops in the face of acid.

And I’ve used our well water to fill a bit our pool, accidentally using up a bit of the minerals.

Long story short: it’s not daily drastic changes, but I think supposed to be a slow decline over a year leading to having to refill the the carbonate minerals, but having accidentally filled some of the pool with it - maybe 3k gallons worth (ideally I would have bypassed the system to fill the pool) I sped up the change of water parameters.

6. OP
    OP
    chrismd

chrismdNew MemberMember

I’ll emphasize though that this die off began long before water parameter, which is recent, the last week or so. The one by one die off has been happening for weeks.

7. richie.p

Gh of 20 can cause moult problems just as much as a low gh ideally it's best to get this down to between 8&12 this can be done by mixing RO water to your source change water or using a still water from your local store and the idea will be to to get s regular stable mix which is important, once you've got this your made, your knowledge on your well water far outweighs mine and I can only try and give you some pointers to allow you to get regular stable conditions , the fluctuations will kill some not all shrimp in the way you describe and a water change today may not show bad on a shrimp until its next moult and this is when the problem occurs so if a shrimp tries to moult next week he will have a problem and one that tries to moult in 3weeks could have problems. Any fluctuations in water can have bad effects