1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

Need Dojo Loach Help Please!!!!

Discussion in 'Dojo Loach' started by Bobbi13, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Bobbi13New MemberMember

3C5ED64E-7AC0-4D65-A741-68848DBC5376.jpegBAE04FDC-836D-47E4-81EE-4DA8979636DD.jpeg Hi everyone - new to the forum and looking for help!!!! I recently picked up some GloFish and when I got home noticed another fish in the bag with them. Did a quick search and determined it’s a dojo loach. I called the pet store, they told me no problem, he can stay in the tank with the GloFish so I put him in. Did some research and it looks like he’d be better off in colder water with a different set up. I’ve never had a loach before - is it the best for him if I move him into a new tank??? Also - is his tail injured? It bends upward. Is there anything I can do for that? He’s very sedentary right now. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

2. PascalKryptValued MemberMember

That is indeed a golden dojo loach. Kind of strange they accidentally bagged it, they are hard to miss. I suggest you take it back to the store to be honest. Dojos occasionally have some kind of deformity in the back half of their body, like yours has. In some cases it is degenerative and even if it isn't, it seems a pretty severe case on yours for what looks like a young loach. Odds are it will not do well in the future - it is also very thin and it is generally not a good sign if they are lethargic (though it could be because it is alone in a new environment). It even worries me they accidentally bagged it, healthy dojos are, in my experience, very difficult to catch and certainly not something I'd bag 'by accident'.
    If you decide you like them and you want one (and have a suitable environment) you could always get a healthy one later.

3. Bobbi13New MemberMember

I’m not sure what exactly happened to be honest. I wasn’t watching the guy bag the fish, and I didn’t see him in the bottom of the bag until we got home and they told me it was an accident when I called. I know nothing about them so didn’t really question it and they told me he’d do fine in my tank.
    Thanks for the info. I will call them again today.

4. PascalKryptValued MemberMember

For the record, it is generally not a problem to keep dojos in low-to-mid subtropical temperatures despite being coldwater fish as they are very adaptable. I don't know much about glofish but the internet suggests a range of 72 to 80F (seems a little broad, not sure if that is accurate). Dojos should be fine with anything up to 74. That doesn't mean it would suit your tank though. Your substrate looks too rough (dojos prefer sand, but at least smooth surfaces like smooth rocks) and though I don't know the size of the tank, Dojos can grow anywhere from 4 to 12 inches in length and require quite a large tank.

5. NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

Most of twhat i would say have already been said.
    1.He can tolerate the 78 degrees that the other tropical fish should be in.
    how big is your tank? they grow very slow, and unfortunatly, with that deformaty, he may not grow as large or live as long as he should. But dojo loaches get to about 8-10 inches, and should be in a shoal of 5 or more. given the size, many people have kept them in smaller groups, and they seem ok in videos.
    But also, he could hurt himself on that gravel, and he might get stuck in the dragon decoration, they like to go inside anything and everything.

Im not sure how youaccidently ended up with this guy, but, if you return him, and dont feel guilty if you do, but if you return him, he may struggel to keep up with the others, he may not find onother home. maybe you can provide the tlc for this fish, but it is up to you.

6. PascalKryptValued MemberMember

Really, you've kept them in 78 degrees long-term and they are fine with that? I mean, during heat waves like now my tank heats up to 80 and they are still fine, but they seem less active and bothered a little by the heat. I personally would not keep them at more than 75 for extended periods of time. But then I haven't actually tried it, so if someone has experience with that for over a year (and if so I would love to hear it, actually opens up some possibilities) and it works, then disregard this comment.

7. NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

I had them over a year, they tank never went over 78. i use a digital thermometer to check the temp. I have been using a new heater, a Jager heaer, and yes it has become harder to keep the tank from going to 80 degrees, but i dont have the dojos anymore. It was a long time ago, I didnt do my research, and when I realised how big they get, I found them a better home. They were in the heated tank the hole time I had them, so I never got to see if there personalities changed in cooler temperatures. But compared to yoyo, zebra, and polk a dot loaches that I have now, they seemed ok. Put to fish one time is not a lot to go by, so dont change your plans over my single experiance.

8. SugeDayNew MemberMember

I've had 2 Dojo/weather loaches that I've kept in 78 degrees water for probably 2 or 3 years now with ecocomplete as my only substrate and never had a problem with them. The smaller one for a short time was even digging in the substrate and hiding under logs and stuff. They do tend to act like spazes when a storm is brewing (hence the name). And my big one is big at least 12 inches long and at least as big around as bratwurst. They are very interesting fish to keep.

9. PascalKryptValued MemberMember

Hmm, this has piqued my interest. ... not sure if I can hijack OP's thread here (may be somewhat relevant though if they want to keep their dojo? Stop me if not)
    What kind of set-up do you have? As in, tank size, any hardscape, what do you feed them, etc.? How big were they when you got them?

10. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I say 78 F is perfectly fine, but I'd still return it and get another one that's actually healthy (if you want one, that is).Yours appears malnourished, it's face caved-in and tail misshaped, and likely won't live much longer.

11. NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

I had a 30 gallon at the time, I would suggest to keep them in nothing under 48 inches long.
    I had and have smooth natural type gravel. many wide open hideouts "dont want them getting stuck" and broad leafed silk plants.
    They eat almost anything, a wide variety is best, I have fed onega one flakes, new life spectra pellets, sinking wafers, some fore carnivores, some just algae wafers, and some spiralina wafers. Also frozen blood worms and shrimp. Also a variety of veggies, canned carrot, peeled cucumber, they go crazy for yams, but its super messy!, so only the day of or befor a cleaning. Now I miss my dojos!

12. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

They are a popular food dish in some countries. Like goldfish, I consider them to be temperate. That is, they can survive in both temperature extremes in summer and winter. In fact, I used to observe them swimming in mass in mud in drying ditches and rice patties as a child. I still recall how they gave me the heebi-jeebies, watching them squrim around in the hundreds. They are perfectly adapted to low-oxygen environments. In fact, outside the hobby, they are often called mudfish.

I've read care sheets online that make me laugh.

13. SugeDayNew MemberMember

When I bought mine they were tiny, like if I got some that size today the big one would probably eat them. They are completely not afraid to take food out of your hand, check or even try to nibble your finger. They were both about as round as a number 2 pencil max and maybe 3 - 4 inches long. The big one is at least 12 inches long and is about as round as a bratwurst. The other one is what I call regular size. About 10 inches long but about as round as an adult man's finger.

I've kept them in a 29 gallon planted tank with ecocomplete substrate with other fish. They've eaten flakes, sinking shrimp pellets, algae wafers, peas, zucchini, freeze dried shrimp, those tubix worm squares you can stick on the glass, live snails, and by accident they ate alot of ghost shrimp I had in the tank (I didn't think they'd endlessly hunt the plants for shrimp). They are now in a 55 gallon that I still feel is too small for them. Plus I'd like to see how they'd react to sand. I tried leaving a section in my 55 gallon sand but that big one mixed it with ecocomplete so theres no sandy area. But if the plants aren't established and rooted in the dojos will dig them up no problem. Sometimes even if the rock on them isn't big enough.

14. Bobbi13New MemberMember

Thanks everyone for all of the input. My tank is at 78 degrees, gravel substrate, 20 gallon tank - everything seemed wrong for him. I feel bad but I took him back yesterday. I don’t have a big enough separate tank to put him in or the time right now th care for him properly. Thanks everyone for your help.