Need Dechlorinator

AxolotlAquarist
I just did a nearly full water change on my tank, only to realize now I have no dechlorinator and can't go get some. My fish has been sitting in his temporary container for a while now and he really needs to get back into his tank. Should I just put him in and risk it? Or is there something I can do to make the water safer?

Beranga
If you can wait for a day, chlorine will evaporate by itself.

Rainy day
I just did a nearly full water change on my tank, only to realize now I have no dechlorinator and can't go get some. My fish has been sitting in his temporary container for a while now and he really needs to get back into his tank. Should I just put him in and risk it? Or is there something I can do to make the water safer?

How big is the tank and how much did you change? Chlorine will evaporate overnight but choloramines will not.

david1978
I found this article interesting. If its good enough for the forestry department I guess it should be good enough for us. Its worth looking into.

Neutralize Chlorine with Vitamin C

AxolotlAquarist
How big is the tank and how much did you change? Chlorine will evaporate overnight but choloramines will not.
It's a 29 gallon, and I changed I would say 95%. It's almost all new water. And unfortunately, I don't have a spare aquarium I can put the fish into.

Rainy day
It's a 29 gallon, and I changed I would say 95%. It's almost all new water. And unfortunately, I don't have a spare aquarium I can put the fish into.

Yikes, that's too much. Join a local Facebook group and ask around if anyone has any they can deliver. Also, what type of fish is it? It may be fine in the 1.5 gallons you have it in so long as you can keep it warm until you get dechlorinator. Why'd you even change that much water? You should only be doing 5-50%.

Alex6455
Yup, follow the advice others have given you. As for the dechlorinator in the future, Seachem Prime is a great option!

Hunter1
If your tank was cycled, the chlorine probably killed your B.B.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but thought you should be aware.

Hunter1
I found this article interesting. If its good enough for the forestry department I guess it should be good enough for us. Its worth looking into.

Neutralize Chlorine with Vitamin C

Very interesting article, both for fish health and human health.

I might experiment with one tank to see if there is a PH fluctuation.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LyndaB
  • Question
Replies
Views
UnknownUser
Replies
Views
Hunter1
Replies