Need cold water fish Ideas!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Huskiesandfishies, Jul 28, 2015.

1. H

Huskiesandfishies Valued Member Member

Very well thinking of a cold water fish tank for my 75 gallon. So far I like dojo loaches and white cloud minnows? How would you stock a 75 gallon cold water tank?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Danios would be a good cooler-water schooling fish to add! Big schools of those and white clouds would be very pretty.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would go with the smaller (4 inch-ish) sunfish. Like the black banded sunfish, Enneacanthus chaetodon. Maybe the other sunnies in Enneacanthus as well.

4. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

What else is in the tank? A group of sunfish would be awesome, but would fully stock the tank. If you want a coldwater community, there are dozens of species of shiner, minnow, catfish, and killies to choose from. Not to mention probably the coolest group of fish ever, darters :)

5. TexasDomer

Some of the darters are so beautiful!

6. shusband

shusband Well Known Member Member

I like my swamp darter. And mosquito fish. I keep some small stump knocker sunfish.

7. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

IMO swamp darters are among the most beautiful freshwater fish in the world. And I can find them when I visit my family back east! LOL.

8. shusband

Mines wild caught along with the sunfish it lives with.

Never kept one but rainbow darters are incredible if you could get one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  9. OP
    OP
    H

Thanks for some suggestions, I'm trying to research the darters but not too much info I can find. One place said expert level of care but unsure? Is it a peaceful fish? One place did say 30-50% weekly water change ?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. OP
    OP
    H

I just read the rainbow darters are in Ohio.. I live in Ohio I can go catch one lol!

11. shusband

Very peaceful. Not sure about rainbow but my swamp darter is very easy to keep. Monthly 40% water change on my native tank.

12. OP
    OP
    H

I talked to someone from northern Ohio and was told they don't fare long in aquariums, but they let you capture them without permits and stuff one day out of the year here

13. TexasDomer

You could try it with a few? Just be sure to only capture it on the allotted day! Try to keep only the healthiest. And do a lot of research on them so you can provide the best home. You can look up scientific papers on the behaviors and ecology of the species in open access journals.

14. OP
    OP
    H

Yeah was told I'd need to setup a river / stream with current. I'd also probably assume they would need high oxygen levels in the water too, not sure I'm gonna research and see if there's a better darter I could try first though. Hate to kill a fish

15. OP
    OP
    H

So far I want Zebra danios, golden white clouds, dojo loaches, and researching some darters. Still trying to think of a few more, trying to look at species of killifish or catfish, any recommendations ?

16. shusband

I know there are some interesting Asian catfish from cooler streams. Haven't kept any personally.

17. OP
    OP
    H

Do you know which family or name of any so I can try to look them up by chance ?

18. shusband

Akysidae?

Also peppered cories

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  19. TexasDomer

You can use this website to find some:

Select the min and max temps and the max size acceptable for your tank.

20. OP
    OP
    H

Exactly where I was Texas! Just need to find out if they are captive bred or not etc, need to acclimate them to like a ph of 8

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice