Need Clean Up Crew Suggestions

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Marco Rodriguez, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Marco Rodriguez

Marco RodriguezWell Known MemberMember

HI,

I have a new 10 gallon tank. its been going for just short of a month I think. Currently a FOWLR tank with only a single Firefish Goby in there. I put him in to cycle the tank as suggested by LFS. don't really plan on adding much else other than a clean up crew... unless I have room for more? Never stocked a SW before.. but just looking for a clean up crew suggestions please. Was looking into hermit crabs possibly or some kind of shrimp. There's quite a bit go algae starting to grow so I figured its about time to get someone in there to help out..

Thanks so much,
    Marco

2. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Cycling fish in with saltwater isn't the best option. Really brutal on the fish. I hate to say it but it was really bad advice on their part. Is the tank cycled? I wouldn't add any clean up crew until it's cycled.

3. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

Wish I knew that earlier! Yes it’s definitely cycled now.

4. Jesterrace

For a 10 gallon a couple of nassarius will do the sandbed for you. I would do hermit crabs over a shrimp (simply because IMHO they need a larger tank to get enough food). I would try maybe 2-3 of the dwarf hermits as they should handle what you have in your tank easily unless you overfeed.

5. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

Sounds great. I’ll look for some. Thanks so much

6. MutualAssuredDestruction

MutualAssuredDestructionNew MemberMember

I’ve always been told to use molly’s to cycle a salt water

7. Jesterrace

Fish in cycles are unnecessary and generally is the equivalent of exposing a fish to a mustard gas attack and giving it a gas mask and hoping it lasts. Very easy to do a fishless cycle with saltwater (ie Dr. Tim's Ammonia, fish food, piece of shrimp) so it's kind of pointless to potentially harm a fish.