Need Clean Up Crew Suggestions

Marco Rodriguez

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI,

I have a new 10 gallon tank. its been going for just short of a month I think. Currently a FOWLR tank with only a single Firefish Goby in there. I put him in to cycle the tank as suggested by LFS. don't really plan on adding much else other than a clean up crew... unless I have room for more? Never stocked a Saltwater before.. but just looking for a clean up crew suggestions please. Was looking into hermit crabs possibly or some kind of shrimp. There's quite a bit go algae starting to grow so I figured its about time to get someone in there to help out..

Thanks so much,
Marco

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cycling fish in with saltwater isn't the best option. Really brutal on the fish. I hate to say it but it was really bad advice on their part. Is the tank cycled? I wouldn't add any clean up crew until it's cycled.

Marco Rodriguez

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wish I knew that earlier! Yes it’s definitely cycled now.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
For a 10 gallon a couple of nassarius will do the sandbed for you. I would do hermit crabs over a shrimp (simply because IMHO they need a larger tank to get enough food). I would try maybe 2-3 of the dwarf hermits as they should handle what you have in your tank easily unless you overfeed.

Marco Rodriguez

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jesterrace said:
For a 10 gallon a couple of nassarius will do the sandbed for you. I would do hermit crabs over a shrimp (simply because IMHO they need a larger tank to get enough food). I would try maybe 2-3 of the dwarf hermits as they should handle what you have in your tank easily unless you overfeed.
Sounds great. I’ll look for some. Thanks so much

MutualAssuredDestruction

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jesterrace said:
Cycling fish in with saltwater isn't the best option. Really brutal on the fish. I hate to say it but it was really bad advice on their part. Is the tank cycled? I wouldn't add any clean up crew until it's cycled.
I’ve always been told to use molly’s to cycle a salt water

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
MutualAssuredDestruction said:
I’ve always been told to use molly’s to cycle a salt water
Fish in cycles are unnecessary and generally is the equivalent of exposing a fish to a mustard gas attack and giving it a gas mask and hoping it lasts. Very easy to do a fishless cycle with saltwater (ie Dr. Tim's Ammonia, fish food, piece of shrimp) so it's kind of pointless to potentially harm a fish.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads