Need Biotope Help - Resources for Coral Research?

Fishproblem

Hey all! I'm trying to plan a reef tank around one specific area, but have hit a bit of a road block. I know that I want to include Ricordea florida in my setup, but I'm looking for one or two other corals to include, and can't seem to find any comprehensive sources that list commercially available corals by region. Does anyone know where I can find such a list, or will I have to search a broader marine database by distribution and then see which of those corals are available to me?

Also, if anyone has insights on small or pico-friendly corals that share a distribution with Ricordea florida, please mention them! (Ones with movement are top priority, but I want to figure out what all of my options are.)

MacZ

and can't seem to find any comprehensive sources that list commercially available corals by region.

I highly doubt you will find such a list.

or will I have to search a broader marine database by distribution and then see which of those corals are available to me?

As does anyone who wants to set up a biotope tank (for any biotope).

Unless you know a dealer that also knows the reefs you want to recreate and the market of your country like his backyard it'll be unlikely you find a database like that.

Upvote 0

Fishproblem

I highly doubt you will find such a list.

As does anyone who wants to set up a biotope tank (for any biotope).

Unless you know a dealer that also knows the reefs you want to recreate and the market of your country like his backyard it'll be unlikely you find a database like that.
That's really interesting! I would have imagined that, as with freshwater aquarium plants, some kind of resource like this would be available. It's been easier and easier to find plants by locale since I started.

I'll continue to explore the databases!

Upvote 0

MacZ

Oh, a database of corals you will likely find, but I doubt there is one that lists commercial availability. And if so, very likely only one that lists the availability via one dealer.

Upvote 0

Fishproblem

Oh, a database of corals you will likely find, but I doubt there is one that lists commercial availability. And if so, very likely only one that lists the availability via one dealer.
Well, I'm not really looking for a list that will say "this coral is from this location, and can be purchased here". I'm more looking for a list of corals that are commonly kept that can be searched by region. Even a dealer that has a regional search function would be a great help, honestly.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Well, I'm not really looking for a list that will say "this coral is from this location, and can be purchased here". I'm more looking for a list of corals that are commonly kept that can be searched by region. Even a dealer that has a regional search function would be a great help, honestly.

I get that, I meant I fear this will be the most likely thing you might find.

Good luck in any case!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishproblem
  • Question
Replies
Views
ahouseofscales
Replies
Views