Need aragonite to raise kH but now pH is too high

rabbitsnfoxes

I need aragonite to raise my kH from what would be around 1-2 without it. But now my pH is in the mid to high 7s. I had one CPO crayfish pass shortly after introducing him to my tank. The other crayfish and countless shrimp that I introduced all lived (two different tanks but same tap water and arragonite-filled stockings). One death is bound to happen at some point, right? Well...my LFS read me the riot act that my pH is way too high and that they wouldn't make good on their 48 hour guarantee. Is my pH really that high? And if so, how do I lower it while still buffering my kH.

Heron

KH buffers pH at around 7.5, if you try to lower pH whilst maintaining a good KH the KH will be used up neutralizing the acids so it will only allow the pH to drop once the kH is depleted thus lowering the KH. Adding Driftwood or peat will release acids that will neutralize the KH and eventually will lower the pH.
Basically a low pH tank needs a low KH. There are other buffering substances that buffer at different pH values, perhaps you should look into these.

rabbitsnfoxes

Heron said:
KH buffers pH at around 7.5, if you try to lower pH whilst maintaining a good KH the KH will be used up neutralizing the acids so it will only allow the pH to drop once the kH is depleted thus lowering the KH. Adding Driftwood or peat will release acids that will neutralize the KH and eventually will lower the pH.
Basically a low pH tank needs a low KH. There are other buffering substances that buffer at different pH values, perhaps you should look into these.
So is a pH of around 7.5 worthy of a public berating at my LFS? The aragonite has me in a good place as far as kH, so if a pH of 7.5 isn't bad for my fish and shrimp, than am I OK to go about my business?

Heron

I haven't kept shrimp or crayfish myself so I don't know what pH is best but 7.5 is good for most fish. Usually a steady pH is more important than the exact value. If you use just a little aragonite in the filter you may be able to obtain a lower KH and a lower pH but it's a bit of a balancing act.

coralbandit

Nothing wrong with 7.5 pH..
LFS has knowledge issues if they say your pH is high ..

rabbitsnfoxes

I just tested and I'm at 7.8

coralbandit

rabbitsnfoxes said:
I just tested and I'm at 7.8
Still not end of the world ..

Top Bottom