Need Apistogramma Info

1. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

So after 2 years focused on rams, I am unhappy with the quality of rams that my lfs is stocking. I have decided I would like to try my hand at keeping Apistogramma, specifically the triple red.
    I have a few questions.
    - if one is looking to breed them, is it possible to buy a male and female and have them mate? Instead of buying multiple females? Obviously the chances would be better then, but has anyone had it happen before?

-I'm guessing parameter wise they're pretty similar to GBRs?

-general life span?

Thanks guys!

2. Bry

Bry Member Member

When I was torn between the two, I found Apistogramma and German Rams are almost identical in care. From what I read Apistos can do well in just a pair. But if you are trying to breed, a few females to male ratio would be best.

3. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Yes I think I might get 2 females and a male...

4. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

I have Borellii's I got as 1 male and 1 female, they have breed twice, I have about 15 fry. They are very easy to care for, Good luck

5. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

That's great to hear, I got orange flashes today! Still very young but I can't wait to see them when they're big. How often do they breed?

6. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

They have only breed twice [Borellii] it seems like it was only about 20 days, the first batch the male ate them after about a week, this time I removed him and let her raise them. But they grow very slow.