Need Apistogramma Info

Discussion in 'Cockatoo Cichlid' started by kayla.s, May 18, 2018.

1. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

So after 2 years focused on rams, I am unhappy with the quality of rams that my lfs is stocking. I have decided I would like to try my hand at keeping Apistogramma, specifically the triple red.
    I have a few questions.
    - if one is looking to breed them, is it possible to buy a male and female and have them mate? Instead of buying multiple females? Obviously the chances would be better then, but has anyone had it happen before?

-I'm guessing parameter wise they're pretty similar to GBRs?

-general life span?

Thanks guys!

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  2. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

When I was torn between the two, I found Apistogramma and German Rams are almost identical in care. From what I read Apistos can do well in just a pair. But if you are trying to breed, a few females to male ratio would be best.

3. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Yes I think I might get 2 females and a male...

4. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

I have Borellii's I got as 1 male and 1 female, they have breed twice, I have about 15 fry. They are very easy to care for, Good luck

5. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

That's great to hear, I got orange flashes today! Still very young but I can't wait to see them when they're big. How often do they breed?

6. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

They have only breed twice [Borellii] it seems like it was only about 20 days, the first batch the male ate them after about a week, this time I removed him and let her raise them. But they grow very slow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice