Need any information possible on breeding bettas

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Bettalover99, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Ever since I was 2 years old I have owned and kept fish. Bettas have always been my favourites . Their colours , fins , bubble nesting . I guess everything drew me to them. For my grade 7 science fair I successfully trained my bettas . And I know it sounds crazy but they jumped for their food (from my hand) went threw hoops ect. However I thought breeding them would be like guppies. I took my male and female and put them in a 7 gallon tank and let the magic happen . Unfortunately my female suffered from several missing scales and he had eaten off half her tail fin. I removed her from the tank and conditioned her back to health and placed her in a thriving tropical environment as I did not want her to suffer again. I tried this method with 3 different females . One of which he took too . They actually became friends ; swimming together and such . However he wouldn't bubble nest for her . Instead brought food to her and played with her . They became inseparable . He loved her but still wouldn't show any interest in breeding with her. I put her in the tropical tank with her sister and that was that; however I'm still stuck on how to do this , I know what I need to do; condition for 2 weeks . Using heaters and gentoo current lots of plants where as my other tank was completely empty . But I was just curious before I go about trying this again if anybody had any ideas on how to get a good pair and where to get them from . I won't be attempting this til around September it will cost about $700 for the setup my dads planning but any information would be of great help . Preferably from people who have done this ; successful or not! Thanks...Kylie

2. AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

wow...wish you had some video to show of the fish jumping through hoops =)

3. OP
    OP
    B

Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

aha !! i do on my laptop wish i could post it but go on youtube and search about it actually you can do it yourself if you would like me to give you my tecniques? it took about 3 months for me to successfully train 3 of them! but yeah i found it very interesting and you can do it with any age fish i did it with my fish thats 3 and i rescued him... so basically its alot of work but no one believed me til i showed them! what kind of fish do you have!??...kylie

4. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

5. OP
    OP
    B

thank you!! i have already looked at the first link, i know everything possible from the internet i was hoping maybe for some personal stories or how other people do it, i will take a look at your second link

6. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

You'll find the threads I linked to actually contain personal experiences from our members ;)

7. OP
    OP
    B

okay!! thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice