Need answers please on a 125

Dennis57

HI all. I will be getting a 125 gallon tank over the weekend from a friend of a friend ( cheap ) It comes with the stand, canopy, 1 fluval 404, 1-405 and 1-406 ( I never used these ) also comes with 2-100 gallon bubblers, a titanium heater & controller, timer, 2 T5 fixtue's 4 bulbs in each, about 5 large pieces of MopanI wood, and 12-15 fish, ( 4 large angelfish)
My questions are:
1) Should I keep the light or go with 3 of 165W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum Reef Coral Marine Tank Light Bulb? I am going with live plants
2) Are these filters easy to use? I always used the HOB Emperor 400 in 4 of my 55 gallon.
3) He is using pebbles in the tank now with some live plants, although I will be adding a bunch of my own, should I keep the pebbles or use Eco Complete that I also use in my 55s?
4) He tells me he does 80% water changes every week, is there an easier way to do this other then 5 gallon buckets at a time that I use now for my 55s? I have a new faucet in my kitchen that I can not adapt to use with the connector to fill the tank.
Any help from you guys will help me make my life easier. TY

FinalFins

For number 4 a python could be used.

Donthemon

I run my python out a window to the garden hose for one of my tanks. Canister filters are easy to use.

Dennis57

That works if you live in CA, but here in NY the outside hose will not work in the Winter. Does the python hook up to any type of kitchen faucet, or is it the old fashion type?

Lucyn

1. Either are acceptable, just keep in mind what kind of plants you're looking to keep alive, if you're looking for lower to mid level plants the ones you have are fine.
2. They are easy to use, maintenance can be a bit of a struggle once a month, but that's it. I'd definitively recommend investing in a sump purely for biological media if you intend to stock heavy.
3. That completely comes down to preference, plants do great in both. Eco Complete has been proven to not have nearly the correct amount/all the kinds of nutrients plants require, so I'd just save the money and get root tabs if you're looking for gravel ferts.
4.I have a 125 I use two 20 gallon totes and 5 5 gallon buckets for 50% water changes. You can get a 65 gallon garbage can at Home Depot or Walmart with wheels so it's super easy to move around. The python kit doesn't work for me because of the overwhelming amount of chlorine in my tap. I fill the totes using the buckets before I fill them and then use a pump connecting to my gravel vac to put water in the tank from the totes, as the tote gets empty I fill it with the buckets, then scoop the water out of the other tote into the one draining into my tank. Sounds complicated but actually makes my life a hellava lot easier.

Donthemon

You can take off a shower head and attach to that. Can get the right temp that way.

qquake2k

I was able to attach an expanding garden hose to a bathroom faucet, using a quick connect for a portable dishwasher. I put a sprinkler bubbler on the end of the hose.

Attachments

• faucet_100419_04.jpg
    faucet_100419_04.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 48
  • faucet_100419_05.jpg
    faucet_100419_05.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 51
  • faucet_100419_06.jpg
    faucet_100419_06.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 54
  • fill_100519_01.jpg
    fill_100519_01.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 49
  • fill_100519_02.jpg
    fill_100519_02.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 49
  • fill_100519_02b.jpg
    fill_100519_02b.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 49
  • fill_100519_05.jpg
    fill_100519_05.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 51
  • fill_100519_07.jpg
    fill_100519_07.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 52

saltwater60

There’s no reason to do 80% water changes weekly. Also don’t go with reef bulbs for a freshwater tank the spectrum is off.

Lucyn

There’s no reason to do 80% water changes weekly. Also don’t go with reef bulbs for a freshwater tank the spectrum is off.
Well, to be fair, there are reasons to do it, depending on what he's keeping or how much of what he's keeping. Or maybe how much growth he wants factoring in water quality for growing fish. I also agree on the reef bulbs, if you weren't running planted it wouldn't be much of an issue.

flyin-lowe

Pythons definitely make water changes a breeze on larger tanks. I've had one tank that was on city water, I always treated the water with the full dose of Prime before I started to refill and never had a problem. Another trick I did on my old 125 tank was the first water change I used 5 gallon buckets to measure how much I was taking out. I put a piece of scotch tape on the back edge at the 10 gallon, 25 gallon, and 50 gallon spot so I knew how much water I was taking out.

LeahsTank

I can’t use the python for water changes either. So, I use a 5 gallon bucket, regular siphon, and a water pump and hose. I siphon into the bucket while the pump moves the water from the bucket to the toilet/tub. For refills, I fill the bucket in the kitchen sink while the pump moves the water from the bucket to the tank. I use the sink so gravity will help move the water. Otherwise it is pretty slow going from the tub. Just make sure to keep an eye on the water level in the bucket. My pump is slower than the siphon, so I have to pause the siphon while it catches up. A cheap ball valve built into the siphon hose makes starting and stoping the flow easy without breaking the suction.

Amazon.com: Hydro Flow 747058 Premium Barbed Ball Valve, 1/2-Inch: Garden & Outdoor

Momgoose56

For draining my tank, I just got 20 feet of plastic tubing from ACE Hardware with an Internal Diameter the same as the External Diameter of my short siphon hose. I coated 2" of the siphon hose tip with aquarium silicone, slid the larger tubing over it, added extra silicone at the overlap joint, let it dry and drain my tank outside or into the bath tub with it. I use a garden hose that says it's safe for people and animal use, with a python hook (that has an on/off adaptor on it), to refill my tanks. I've been using my syphon drain hose contraption for over 15 years now. The python hook was the most expensive (and worth it!) part of the whole thing.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sarasacco
Replies
Views
Debbie1986
Replies
Views
Redfishbluefish13
Replies
Views