NEED an algae eater but would This Be Overstocking?

Fishlover832

You can add probably 100 more fish if you want. A pleco would be fine, I'm confused about this random 29 gallon tank. A 110 gallon tank could fit a lot of plecos.

FishSmart

You can add probably 100 more fish if you want. A pleco would be fine, I'm confused about this random 29 gallon tank. A 110 gallon tank could fit a lot of plecos.

Sorry about the confusion...I hit the tag wrong! Silly me, I have a 29-gallon and I’m wanting a pleco.

Fishlover832

Ohhhh. I would choose either a Bolivian or gbr, not both. I would also choose either guppies or the tetras. Then I would up the number of loaches to 6-8. A pleco would definitely be possible as long as it doesn't get too big. One that stayed around 4" would be good. Beware though that plecos aren't good algae eaters, otos and siamese are better. Also consider snails if you want.

mattgirl

Sorry about the confusion...I hit the tag wrong! Silly me, I have a 29-gallon and I’m wanting a pleco.
I you do get one just be sure it is one of the smaller species such as a bristle nose.

A common pleco although small and cute at the fish store will quickly out grow your tank.

Eirelav_mcgoo

I'd be more apt to getting a couple snails over a pleco if you're wanting an algae eater. I'm no expert but you have some stocking issues. GBRs need higher temps than the tetras, guppies and loaches. I do keep my GBR at 78 but it would be much happier in a tank around 82.

Rainy day

I agree with everyone above, you've got temperature incompatibilities.

A few nerites will take care of your algae without adding the massive bio loads plecos have.

Demeter

I think either a handful of nerite snails (best algae eaters around) or a single bristle nose pleco would be fine.

Beranga

I agree, snails would be better.

Swampgorilla

The problem with algae eaters is ...

1. They often aren't compatible with the temperature of your tank.
2. Often "conflict" with whatever the rest of your stock load is.
3. Push your stocking load up.
4. Often don't eat algae!!! LOL - or enough of it.
5. Usually all of the above.

I mean, you can plan it out carefully and maybe you'll find a compatible species but you won't know if they'll handle your algae issues until you already have them. They're kind of like TATTOOS - sound like a good idea but then you're stuck with 'em. A lot of people say go for the snails - but a lot of them breed like wildfire.

For a 29-gallon, just get a 9-watt GREEN KILLING MACHINE U/V and be done with algae altogether.

Beranga

For a 29-gallon, just get a 9-watt GREEN KILLING MACHINE U/V and be done with algae altogether.

Really? Do UVs work that well? Never tried one.

Rainy day

The problem with algae eaters is ...

1. They often aren't compatible with the temperature of your tank.
2. Often "conflict" with whatever the rest of your stock load is.
3. Push your stocking load up.
4. Often don't eat algae!!! LOL - or enough of it.
5. Usually all of the above.

I mean, you can plan it out carefully and maybe you'll find a compatible species but you won't know if they'll handle your algae issues until you already have them. They're kind of like TATTOOS - sound like a good idea but then you're stuck with 'em. A lot of people say go for the snails - but a lot of them breed like wildfire.

If it works anything like a normal uv, how would that kill algae that isn't free floating?

Swampgorilla

If it works anything like a normal uv, how would that kill algae that isn't free floating?

You first clean the tank of all algae that isn't free floating - meaning, scrape down the sides of the tanks and get it off the surfaces of any ornaments / plants you have in the tank.

Then you install the U/V.

If the U/V is properly sized and the flow is appropriate (i.e. - it's not too much flow) then you should not see even surface algae show up again (I haven't).

The key is THE FLOW. All these canister filters with a 9 watt U/V won't do it ... because they pump at tremendously fast rates - up to 525 gph! A 9 watt U/V taps out at about 125 gph and I wouldn't run it that high. The Green Killing Machine is 9-watts, but only flows at 50 gph ... well within the flow rate to kill algae.

No free floating algae ... then usually most surface-bound algae will not take root.

EDIT: My U/V recently broke in my 72-gallon tank. Now - that's a 57 watt unit because I also use it to kill parasites. Within two days I saw signs of algae inside the tank. Fixed the U/V - no more algae.

Bishop78

Hello I need, NEED a algae eater but I think that if I get one that I might be over stocking! This is my stocking

1 dwarf Gourami
1 Bolivian ram
1 German blue ram
7 guppies
10 neon tetras
2 kuhlI loaches

Can I add a pleco in this 29-gallon?!
I think it sounds good but what are you GPH

varmint

Hello I need, NEED a algae eater but I think that if I get one that I might be over stocking! This is my stocking

1 dwarf Gourami
1 Bolivian ram
1 German blue ram
7 guppies
10 neon tetras
2 kuhlI loaches

Can I add a pleco in this 29-gallon?!
I think you posted this earlier, and it was suggested that you had a temp problem with a GBR and the rest of your stock. Just saying.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
30 Gallon Tank Overstocked?
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
Papasmerf73
  • Question
29 Gallon Tank I need stocking ideas!!!