need amount of gravel ok to use in tank?

1. LadyBug82 Member Member

how much gravel should i use for my 40g fish tank? i have 7 5lb bags of gravel for my tank is that enough?

2. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

one more bag would be better as 1lb per gallon.

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

anything between a pound to 2 pounds per gallon, all depends on how you want to scape your tank, I tend to use a bit more as I like to make a bit of a slope with it in the tank from a back point to a more focal point of the tank. Really its all about looks once you get the bottom decently covered.

4. LadyBug82 Member Member

ok once i get more money ill get two bags a 5lb and a 2lb.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Since you are dealing with small bags, I would use what you have and add one at a time till it's where you want it. How much you really need is dependent on what you want to do with it, as pirahnah said.

If it's a 40 breeder, then it'll need 50% more substrate since it's got a 50% larger footprint than a standard 12 inch wide tank.

6. LadyBug82 Member Member

i don't have a 40g breeder tho i just have a 40g long tank. but im going to use what i have and go from there tho.

7. Jayha68 Member Member

I went with the 1lb per gallon in my 48 bowfront corner tank and it seems excessive now, wish I'd known I could put less in there when I did it! I have about 3-3.5 inches of gravel in there.

8. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

meh, i went over that for my 29, i have 3" of gravel in there. BTW, i just look at how thick it covers the bottom.

9. striker Member Member

I would also say it depends on how you want your tank to look. Typically it should have 1-2 pounds of gravel for each gallon of water. So i would put 40 lbs of gravel in a 40 gallon.

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Freshwater Substrates/Gravel-Sand section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

11. LadyBug82 Member Member

thank you ken

12. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

This is what works for me:

Gravel required = 1Kg per 120 square cm of aquarium floor

Hope it helps.

13. Lupinus Member Member

General rule of thumb is 1-2 pounds per gallon. But that will vary a bit based on the exact dimensions of the tank and personal taste. A 40 breeder is going to need more substrate than a 40 long, for example.