need amount of gravel ok to use in tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by LadyBug82, Mar 17, 2012.

1. LadyBug82Valued MemberMember

how much gravel should i use for my 40g fish tank? i have 7 5lb bags of gravel for my tank is that enough?

2. I keep fish

I keep fishWell Known MemberMember

one more bag would be better as 1lb per gallon.

3. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

anything between a pound to 2 pounds per gallon, all depends on how you want to scape your tank, I tend to use a bit more as I like to make a bit of a slope with it in the tank from a back point to a more focal point of the tank. Really its all about looks once you get the bottom decently covered.

4. OP
    OP
    L

LadyBug82Valued MemberMember

ok once i get more money ill get two bags a 5lb and a 2lb.

5. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Since you are dealing with small bags, I would use what you have and add one at a time till it's where you want it. How much you really need is dependent on what you want to do with it, as pirahnah said.

If it's a 40 breeder, then it'll need 50% more substrate since it's got a 50% larger footprint than a standard 12 inch wide tank.

6. OP
    OP
    L

i don't have a 40g breeder tho i just have a 40g long tank. but im going to use what i have and go from there tho.

7. Jayha68

Jayha68Valued MemberMember

I went with the 1lb per gallon in my 48 bowfront corner tank and it seems excessive now, wish I'd known I could put less in there when I did it! I have about 3-3.5 inches of gravel in there.

8. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

meh, i went over that for my 29, i have 3" of gravel in there. BTW, i just look at how thick it covers the bottom.

9. striker

strikerValued MemberMember

I would also say it depends on how you want your tank to look. Typically it should have 1-2 pounds of gravel for each gallon of water. So i would put 40 lbs of gravel in a 40 gallon.

10. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Freshwater Substrates/Gravel-Sand section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

11. OP
    OP
    L

thank you ken

12. Redshark1

Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

This is what works for me:

Gravel required = 1Kg per 120 square cm of aquarium floor

Hope it helps.

13. LupinusValued MemberMember

General rule of thumb is 1-2 pounds per gallon. But that will vary a bit based on the exact dimensions of the tank and personal taste. A 40 breeder is going to need more substrate than a 40 long, for example.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice