Need advice with new filter in old tank

Wrona0306

My friend have problem with cycle new tank so i wont help him and give him my 7months old fully cycled filter for couple weeks becouse this will help him for shure. I have spere hong on filter and wont use this filter in my tank with some new sponges. I dont wont open my 7months filter and transfer any media becouse this is too big hasle. My tank have plenty plants and all hardscape and substrat is 7months old so quastion is to this will work or i will mess up everything.

Noroomforshoe

I strongly believe, but have never done scientific testing that 90 % maybe more, of the beneficial bacteria live in the filter and on filter media.

I strongly urge you not to move your entire filter and all the media. Just move half of the media to your friend's tank.

If you do move your hole filter, please let us know what happens, I am curious if your tank will stay cycled. "I am Hoping you won't lose it!" Good luck.

Upvote 0

Wrona0306

I think this will work becouse i was told after long time tank with plenty plants like my tank can live without any filtration.
Few picture ( i know trimming time)

Attachments

• 20210508_105415.jpg
    20210508_105415.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

I strongly believe, but have never done scientific testing that 90 % maybe more, of the beneficial bacteria live in the filter and on filter media.

I strongly urge you not to move your entire filter and all the media. Just move half of the media to your friend's tank.

If you do move your hole filter, please let us know what happens, I am curious if your tank will stay cycled. "I am Hoping you won't lose it!" Good luck.
Agree! :)

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Nice plants. Let us know how things go, im rooting for you!

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Hmmm this can be refuted by simply setting up no-filter tanks. Here's 75g where I removed the sump completely. Still doing well and inhabitants still alive:

IMG_20210612_140123.jpg

Here's 5g NEVER had a filter, few plants and no water changes:

IMG_20210601_095508.jpg

I have another 5g never had a filter with lots of algae and a shrimp colony going, but the idea is beneficial bacteria can definitely flourish somewhere outside of filters (most likely in the substrate)

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Gotcha, makes sense.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
animalgirl257
  • Question