Need Advice with my Cichlids - Page 4

RogueAgent94

That's good .

The driftwood will sink eventually haha. I see no problem feeding crickets as long as you don't use pesticides and such in your backyard. Crickets are a really good snack for them. A friend of mine buys them at the pet store and feeds them to his cichlids.

zunedog31

just a few more questions for you guys...
the babys are getting bigger so I guess they are eating. How many can I keep in the tank to let them grow up and be adults? when should I start feeding them to the puffer? it would be a nightmare if I tried to feed them to the puffer and he got killed. the figure 8 is not really aggressive, just hungry and can eat fish. my female jewel is chasing my male around. its not that bad unless she pushes him into the cons territory, then there are 3 fish chasing him. does she want to mate?

RogueAgent94

I would start feeding the puffer right away with a few fish a week. Personally I wouldn't really keep any of the baby cons now that you have jewels.

If the female is chasing the male that probably means that they are getting ready to spawn.

zunedog31

hmmmm, I'm kind of attached to the little guys haha, would it be a bad idea to have more fish? would it be a big deal if I let them inbreed? basically if I were to keep some what is a good number? and shouldn't I wait a little longer for them to get bigger so they have a little more meat on the bones? they are currently smaller then a grain of rice.

RogueAgent94

Oh I thought they were bigger. Oops. I'd wait till they're about the size of a dime to feed them. Also I'd leave them with their parents for a few more weeks until the parents begin to spawn again. Then the fry will have to fend for themselves or be removed by you.

No it's not that big of a deal if you let them inbreed. It only gets bad if you go 6 generations line bred. Then you need to introduce new blood.

zunedog31

ok haha I put one of them with the puffer and the moment it went into the water I couldn't find it, nor could the puffer LOL.

so what will happen when the jewels breed? Am I able to get money for the babies? what would happen if I just let baby 3 convicts and 3 jewels in the tank, will that be overstocking? I would wait until I can sex them and take out the males. is that an ok plan?

RogueAgent94

If the jewels breed then the jewels will stay on their side of the tank in their territory and the convicts will stay in their territory with the babies. They'll probably be some disputes at the borders but the parents will be more involved with the babies to bother about each other.

For the jewel babies I bet you could make some money but convicts don't usually sell for very much. So I think if you could get a 10 gallon or a 20 gallon tank you could use that as a grow out for the jewels and then sell the babies to the LFS or online.

Okay so I believe you have like a 42g right? Usually I would only keep two pairs of something in a 42g. I think if you left the babies in you would get some survive but they wouldn't be very healthy and the adults would always be bugging them and trying to bite them because there isn't enough space for more than two or at the very most three territories. Earlier in this thread I suggested that you kept your pair of cons and let them fill up the tank. I said this because if you had done that you wouldn't have had to deal with taking the babies out.

Now that you have the Jewels I suggest you get a grow out for the Jewels and maybe even for the Convicts, you can have both in the same grow out if it's big enough, and then maybe try to add some adults that grew up from your fry. Now that the Cons are spawning, and the jewels may begin any time now, you will have constant babies in your tank.

Good luck !

zunedog31

Ok I did not realize that the parents and the babys can't be happy together and they all need territories. I don't think I can do a grow out tank (unless 5 gallon is ok) I think I will leave a couple in there and see what happens, if they get picked on I will feed them to the puffer. at what size will a con be the one picking on the puffer or could a figure 8 take down even an adult convict? oh and what is my limit on fish? how many cichlids can I keep in the tank?

RogueAgent94

The adults don't get along with their young after they begin to spawn again. They treat them like ordinary other fish that are threatening their territory.

You could rehome your tetras and keep the baby cichlids in that tank.

Hmm.. it depends on how big your puffer is. I'm pretty sure the puffer will be able to deal with cons as long as they don't have places to hide. Baby cons are horribly good at hiding.

If you only had one type of cichlid I would have said you could have around 10 or so but because you have two types I'd say no more than 3 pairs. The limit isn't on fish but on territory space. If your tank was longer it would have more area for more territories aka more fish.

zunedog31

ok I will keep that in mind, by the way the male jewel's colors are brilliant lately! on the other hand the female looks like she is loosing color. hmm

RogueAgent94

That sounds good! It may mean that she is getting ready to spawn. Usually both of them are really colorful but the male is always more colorful.

Has the female gotten better from that pimple thing?

zunedog31

Has the female gotten better from that pimple thing?

Yea it looks better but now its just like a scar or something, I never figured out what it was but from the little research I did it looks like some parasite, I hope it was not and it burst, spreading the virus.

Hey rogue so I am starting to get algae in my tank and I'm actually really excited for it. For 1 it is food for the pleco and 2 is makes the rocks look a little better. There is one problem. The pleco is still really shy and he will not go up to the top of the tank where the algae grows and there are bright lights. He won't go to the left side of the tank either because the convicts will not have it.

I was at petsmart last week and we got to talking about the cichlids and the guy said he had a tank of cichlids and they killed a 12 inch pleco, another guy walking by agreed and they both made it seem like plecos and cichlids don't mix at all (WHATT??) I thought plecos could be kept with anything. they then told me that a chineese algae eater would be good. I have seen them and they are kindof cool looking and I found some for cheep at an actual LFS (the place I can sell my convict cichlids). from what I understand CAEs actually swim around so that would take care of that algae that is in high light. then again I think it would get it's @ss kicked by the fish.

should I try one? what do you think?

RogueAgent94

Hello,

Your pleco will come out and clean when the lights go off in the room and the tank. They're nocturnal fish so they don't like to be out in the light very much. It's only when they get very comfortable wit their owners is when they come out.

Personally I think your pleco is just fine with the cichlids. The pleco has a lot more protection from attack than the CAE would. Also the CAE would eat more babies and eggs than they would aglae. I bet the guys that you were talking to meant African Cichlids. They can sometimes gang up on plecos and kill them but most of the time I find that plecos only are killed by other fish when they are sick or too old to defend themselves/get away.

zunedog31

Ok the babies have stripes now and are larger then the size of a grain of rice. is it time to take them out and make arrangements to sell them?

Amanda

Best pf luck finding someone to buy Con fry. I usually can't even give mine away. Also, you'll want to wait until they hit the 1 - 2 inch mark before re-homing

zunedog31

I actually found a place that I think will take them! they do not have many cichlids and no cons, they sell them for a lot too so I may get lucky

RogueAgent94

That's awesome! I'd love to see some pictures. I would also wait to take them out of the tank.

rollo1411

From what I understand, Africans require a much higher pH than S. Americans...if you want happy fish, stick with one region!

zunedog31

From what I understand, Africans require a much higher pH than S. Americans...if you want happy fish, stick with one region!

Don't look at me! it was rouges idea! ;D

RogueAgent94

;D Yes it was! I've tested the combination countless times and it worked almost every time.

zunedog31

Update

I looked at the tank today and thought an update was necessary. The fish are going great! Those snails I got have not done much so that is a little disappointing but whatever they are kinda cool. The pleco is getting bigger and is swimming a little more then he used to. He will eventually outgrow his hiding spot and have to be on the glass all the time. The jewels are doing okay. The female has lost some color and is pretty fat. The male is the same as usual. Now to the convicts and their babies. The babies are about 1 month old. Some are over 1/4 inch long some under. They look great! I can not see any deformitys in the fish and their stripes look great, there are about 30 of them in all. The adults, as of today, are changing. The female is really nice looking lately, nice dark black face and bright oranges and blues. The male is getting big, he had a split in his fin a few weeks ago but it healed He is really dark and has light blue dots on his fins. Are they going to breed soon?

When should I move the babies out? I fear that I will never be able to get them out of the tank without removing the rocks so a suggestion on that would be appreciated. Recently my water has been cloudy so I ordered a new filter. Penguin 350 GPH 50-70 gallon and it should get here by the end of the week.

RogueAgent94

That's great! If you have an extra tank for the babies you could use a siphon and just siphon them out. It sounds like your pair is getting ready to spawn again .

zunedog31

That's great! If you have an extra tank for the babies you could use a siphon and just siphon them out. It sounds like your pair is getting ready to spawn again .

The only empty tank I have is a 5 gallon. I think I can give them to that shop. How much longer do I have to get them out? When will they be big enough to give to a LFS?

RogueAgent94

If that's all that you have it'll work. You will probably want it barebottom though so you can keep it extra clean to make them grow faster. They'll need to be bigger than they are now if you want to sell them to the LFS.

Technically you have until the parents spawn again but I would remove them right away so the parents don't eat any. Are the parents still herding them around? If they are then don't take them out.

zunedog31

Yea the parents are still keeping them together. How many should go in the 5 gallon and what do you think I should do with them? they can't live as adults in a 5 gallon can they?

RogueAgent94

When the parents stop guarding them I would take them all out and put them in the 5 gallon until they get bigger. Then you can sell them to the LFS. No you can't keep adults in a 5 gallon but you can keep babies in it.

zunedog31

Should I take the crushed coral substrate out of the tank? I'm thinking of only moving a few over at a time starting in the next few days just to make sure I will not loose my entire group all at one time. Oh and I also noticed the male is wandering a lot and not paying as much attention to the babies as he used to. The mother is still with them all the time. They are also getting in little tiffs with the jewels more often.

RogueAgent94

Yes I would take the crushed coral out and do a total waterchange before you put them in. Also add some prime or stress coat. You could add them slowly but I would just add them all together. Cons are pretty tough.

zunedog31

A full water change?? Isn't that bad and the cycle will be gone? I will put a filter in there too with some nice media in it that comes from the big tank so I'm guessing it will be okay. I have prime but I do not have stress coat. I will redo the tank tomorrow afternoon. It has been sitting without fish or a filter for several weeks now so I hope that is not an issue.

RogueAgent94

I doubt you'll use your cycle though. I accidentally wrote full water change when I meant a larger waterchange. Sorry. Brain isn't working . I suggest around a 80% waterchange to get the pH lowered. If your moving some media from the larger tank and the smaller tank isn't cycled I suggest you just empty the small tank and fill it from the larger tank when your doing a waterchange. That'll reduce the stress of the move for the fry because the parameters will be the same.

zunedog31

Yup that is what I was thinking. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow

RogueAgent94

Good luck!

zunedog31

Just got a tank at a garage sale ;D 10 gallon long with hood and light and whisper 20I filter, 3 decorations and I am using a heater form my 5 gallon (I think it can heat up to 20g) I put a filter from the 40 gallon in the 20i. no gravel. are the fry ready to be put in the tank?

RogueAgent94

Yep put the fry in right away if you want. That's great!! I wish I could find tanks at garage sales haha.

zunedog31

Yea it was my father that found the tank this morning, get this, the tank was $2 and 3 of the ornaments were a quarter each so we got everything for $2.75!! lol! so i'm trying to get the fish in the tank and its kind of a funny process. I set the net in the tank right where the fry like to hang out and wait until one swims over it and I scoop it up, I have 4 so far! I think the parents are mad because I messed up the pits they spent 2 days digging ;D

RogueAgent94

Hahaha. Why not just siphon them out? That would be much faster. Or are they too big for that now?

zunedog31

I think they are too big, I think the suction is too small and it just does not work. oh well eventually I will get them all

RogueAgent94

Hahaha. try putting some of their favorite treats in the net and then scoop up a bunch at a time.

zunedog31

Hey rogue check this out regarding the filter I got.

I have most of the babies in the 10 gallon now and something weird happened. all the fry lost their colors in the 10 gallon and the ones in the big tank still have nice dark black stripes. Why is that? oh and my dad found a filter today at another garage sale. it was a fluval 304 (older model) for $40. should we have gotten that? he got the guys info so I guess we could pursue getting it if it is not sold.

RogueAgent94

It's probably because their parents aren't around. I would add a bunch of things for them to hid in and around to make them feel more comfortable. Have you tested their water yet?

Oh yes definitely get that. Canister Filters are the best filters in my opinion.

zunedog31

ok see the thing is that I complained about the broken bio-wheel 350 and they are sending me a new one and paying to send the broken one back. should I take the new one back when I get it? or is it really necessary?

RogueAgent94

If they are paying for everything and it works fine I would say you should keep it and get the canister. I always say that the more filters the better. I usually had a minimum of two filters on each tank. More filters means more extra media which means if you ever set up a new tank you could cycle it instantly. Also it'll keep your levels very steady and low which means happier fish.

Before you buy the canister filter, if you buy it, make sure you check it runs. Basically you want to fill it and put the ends in a full bucket. Then plug it in and make sure it runs properly.

zunedog31

I don't know... are the filters expensive for canisters? is a the biowheel going to be okay for my tank?

RogueAgent94

Filters? You mean media? It should be full already if it's been used. If not you can buy really cheap media at hardware stores. I've never used a biowheel but I think it should be good.

zunedog31

ok I think I will stick with the biowheel and save the hassle. it is rated for 75 gallons afterall.

RogueAgent94

Okay. Do you know what the GPH is?

zunedog31

Yup its 350

New filter is here! I set it up and it made it through the night at least haha. on another note, I have this crazy idea... can I get a pike cichlid? my lfs has one and I do not know the scientific name of it but it is about 5 inches long and as thin around as a pencil. he is light emerald green and fades to white around the belly. do you know anything about these fish? should I look into one or should I keep dreaming ;D

Also something weird I have noticed are these tiny white dots on my rocks. like barnacles or something. they look ugly and I have no idea what they are.

ShellieKeeper

That would be a Green pike Cichlid you saw in your LFS. grows to about half a foot long give or take, id be careful getting him if you want him in with the convicts. he would most likely tear them up if he gets upset.

RogueAgent94

New filter is here! I set it up and it made it through the night at least haha. on another note, I have this crazy idea... can I get a pike cichlid? my lfs has one and I do not know the scientific name of it but it is about 5 inches long and as thin around as a pencil. he is light emerald green and fades to white around the belly. do you know anything about these fish? should I look into one or should I keep dreaming ;D

Also something weird I have noticed are these tiny white dots on my rocks. like barnacles or something. they look ugly and I have no idea what they are.

That's good! I'm glad the filter is working well.

No, I wouldn't put a pike cichlid in your tank. Actually I wouldn't put anything else in your tank. Your pretty much stocked.

Do you still have the Nerites? If so then the white spots are Nerite eggs. Don't worry they won't hatch in freshwater.

zunedog31

That would be a Green pike Cichlid you saw in your LFS. grows to about half a foot long give or take, id be careful getting him if you want him in with the convicts. he would most likely tear them up if he gets upset.

Thank you for your insight! I did some research on pike cichlids and it seemed like some can be in 30+ gallon tanks while others needed massive tanks, man a foot and a half long is way too big.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• perrydaplatypus
  • Cichlid
Replies
Views
NavyChief20
Replies
Views
MomeWrath
Replies
Views
JKCichlids
Replies
Views
Ben E

Did You Know...

Back to back posts (made by yourself) in the same thread within 4 hours get merged automatically.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom